Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't know them that well, but our statement was delivered to them by mistake and they opened it. They brought it over tonight. DH isn't worried about it, because the three digit code on the back of the card is needed for things like online purchases. What do you think? I mean, the entire account number is right there on the bill.

Just curious as to other people's input.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I would call the credit card company, say someone had access to your account number and ask for fraud 'lookout'. Where they pay extra attention to your card to look for purchases that are over a certain amount, out of a certain area, or excessively online, etc.

If it really bugs you, change your account number. Again, just say someone had access and will they please send out a new card?

They should be pretty good about it. But, yes, someone opening my mail would be enough worry for me to do SOMETHING about it.

Kudos!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
First, I wouldn't be upset with them because accidents do happen (not saying you're upset, just explaining I wouldn't be).

Second, I would call the credit card co asap and explain what happened. They can put you on fraud alert just to watch for unusual activity and change your card number. Call the cc co. They'll know how to handle it. Just in case. They may be the nicest people in the world... but you never know.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i think you can call and have the cc company issue you a new card/number with no problem....i would probably do that

OT my GMIL used to open our mail occasionally "on accident" lol....she was just being nosy

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, we aren't mad
I like my neighbors, but like someone else said, you never know with anyone. I think we will keep a close eye on things and go from there, thanks guys

I had a neighbor once who got our phone bill, opened it and became distraught at the calls he knew he hadn't made. He called the company flipping out before he realized that the bill was actually ours

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
I had a neighbor once who got our phone bill, opened it and became distraught at the calls he knew he hadn't made. He called the company flipping out before he realized that the bill was actually ours

That's totally something I would do!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Quote:

I had a similar situation--except in my case I got a cable bill, in my name, but for my neighbor's address!!! It was really weird!! Especially because *we* didn't have cable, and that place was a rental and I didn't know the people at all and they seemed a little sketchy. I called the company and they said that it was apparently their mistake, but for a minute there I though that the neighbors had stolen my identity or something!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I wouldn't worry at all if it were me. The chances are so extremely small that your bill just happened to be mailed to an identity thief...and if they WERE gonna do something with your info I HIGHLY doubt they would have brought the bill to you. I think they would have kept it, you never would have known that they had it right?

Considering that they brought the bill to you voluntarily I really don't think you have anything to worry about....

But that is just me...I don't think it is ridiculous to cancel it/add fraud alert if it makes you feel better.

Good Luck! I HATE it whne our PO makes mistakes like this. And unfortunately for us we live on a "training route" or something ...different carriers EVERY DAY!! We get mail for our neighbors and vice versa all the time. Luckily everyone is honest

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
I HATE it whne our PO makes mistakes like this. And unfortunately for us we live on a "training route" or something ...different carriers EVERY DAY!! We get mail for our neighbors and vice versa all the time. Luckily everyone is honest

We get mail mix ups all the time. It's really annoying after awhile.

Once I got a letter for someone who lived across town-the address was similar but not so similar they made the error twice. I put the mail back in the mailbox with delivered to the wrong address scrawled on it. A few days later it came back to me!!! I opened the envelope to see if it was junk mail or something they would actually want and it was a small check so I put it in another envelop with a note to explain what had been going on and very clearly printed the address on the new envelope. I don't know if it was ever delivered to the proper address but I never saw it again.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I have opened neighbors mail by mistake. It was from a company we recieve mail from and I did not even look at the name on the envelope, I brought it over to them expalined and apoligized. My feeling is if they were going to do something sneeky with your card why bring you the opened mail KWIM.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
The most I'd do(and I probably wouldn't do it) is put the fraud alert on. I've accidentally opened the neighbor's mail before. If they were going to steal the account number they wouldn't bring the bill because then you'd know right away who it was. The reason I probably wouldn't put the fraud alert on is because I can check my cc online any time I want so I'd know right away if something was amiss.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
I would call for a new card. The neighbors wouldn't even know, and you would have peace of mind. No biggie for anyone.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It is sad that people don't trust their neighbors anymore

There are very few people who would fraudulently use someone's credit card info. People are so suspicious of one another here in the states.

I am sure that it will be fine. I am surprised how many people think the card should be canceled!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Why would the card need to be cancelled? It doesn't list the expiry date on the bills and that's the most basic safety feature.
Without the exp. date, it's useless to know the number of the card.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
It is sad that people don't trust their neighbors anymore

There are very few people who would fraudulently use someone's credit card info. People are so suspicious of one another here in the states.

I am sure that it will be fine. I am surprised how many people think the card should be canceled!
I went to this training session on protecting yourself from thieves and they said someone's credit card information is stolen every 3 seconds in the US. Mainly at fast food and restaurants because they have these little machines in their pocket that they swipe the card through and instantly get your info. Or they snap a picture with their camera phone. I understand wanting to trust your neighbors but please be aware that this is a MAJOR problem in our country.

Also, if anyone is interested. He told us that all pre approved credit card offers should be shredded before going in the garbage. Someone can easily take out a credit card offer from your garbage and check off the design of the card they want. Then on the back of the offer, it has a little box that you check and say I will be moving soon. You put your "future address" on there and boom. Someone has a credit card in your name that you don't know about and the statements don't even come to your house. People are getting $20-$50k debt in their names and have no idea till they go to buy a car or house.

His company did a little experiment and ripped up a credit card offer then taped it back together and spilt food all over it. They sent it in and got the credit card with no questions asked. That is why you need to shred it.

Ok....I will stop with the tips but I was so amazed after this presentation about how naive I was being.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grniys View Post
First, I wouldn't be upset with them because accidents do happen (not saying you're upset, just explaining I wouldn't be).

Second, I would call the credit card co asap and explain what happened. They can put you on fraud alert just to watch for unusual activity and change your card number. Call the cc co. They'll know how to handle it. Just in case. They may be the nicest people in the world... but you never know.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
His company did a little experiment and ripped up a credit card offer then taped it back together and spilt food all over it. They sent it in and got the credit card with no questions asked. That is why you need to shred it.
Ok that scares me. I just rip up all the CC offers but I think I will start shredding them- thanks for sharing!

As for the opened mail, I honestly probably wouldn't do anything unless these neighbors made me nervous for some reason. Even then I would probably just alert the CC company for suspicious activity.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, uh . . .
:. Once we got our neighbor's credit card bill in the mail. It was a company we had a card with too and I didn't think twice. I opened it up and about freaked when I saw the balance because it should have been zero and instead it was a few thousand. Then I realized it wasn't our card
: so I wrote a really apologetic note and put it in their mailbox (they weren't home). They never said anything so I guess they weren't mad.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.