Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm just wondering. when i saw the u/s weds, baby had a yolk sac about the same size as him/her. the tech told me there is no placenta yet.
so does that mean that i am not really eating for two right now? just trying to get an understanding. if there is no placenta how is baby getting the vitamins and nutrients and all this protein im eating?
and when does the placenta form, anyway?
thanks for sharing what you know....

· Registered
20,366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stiles' mummy View Post
I don't know about yours...but mine is eating it's share of M&M's, chocolate milk and abundance of Sara Lee Frozen Cheesecake I've been craving and indulging since getting the two lines on the pregnancy stick.

· Registered
33 Posts
Exactly, it's the yolk sac for quite a while yet.

And you don't have to eat for two, mama! Just 300 extra calories a day will do, about the equivalent of a small apple and a yoghurt. All the vits, minerals, protein etc you eat goes into all the extra energy you are putting into building that teeny tiny sac of multiplying cells inside you! You feed your body, and your body uses the goodies to grow the little one
: That's why we have to be careful to eat healthy, to keep our bodies strong, and we don't have to eat double, which will just make our bodies work less efficiently and store more fat.

congrats on your pg!
:

· Premium Member
15,767 Posts
If I'm remembering my A & P correctly from my OB rotation in nursing school, the placenta starts to take over at 10 weeks (8 weeks actual age of the fetus).

· Registered
3,232 Posts
The question is why the heck to I have cravings? Is it just because I know there's ice cream in the freezer downstairs? I mean, I don't eat milk products, but I just might. I just had my uber healthy bowl of curried lentil soup with black beans and now I'm like hmmm...ice cream sounds good

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
And you don't have to eat for two, mama! Just 300 extra calories a day will do, about the equivalent of a small apple and a yoghurt.
Well, normally i dont get hungry and eat very little but run on lots of Dr Pepper
for my calories. I gave them up and am staying super hungry all the time so I am definitely eating way more than an apple or a yogurt more than normal but calorie wise....well, i have no idea. But I have been eating lots of protein because i thought it was so good for my baby's brain. lots of meat and also drinking milk and eating cheese trying to give baby strong bones, lol. Apparently baby's not getting it and it is making me fat! I look like I am showing but its not my uterus, lol, just a newly fat belly.

if my understanding is accurate, then the baby is connected with mother at this time and there is some exchange through the amnion. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.