Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I presume she's going to have a preemie?

Here's the deal: a woman I know through a friend, she's had 2 c-s after going past 42w with two pregnancies. She was induced with each pregnancy at a few days past 42w, and each time the induction ended in a c-s. Now she's decided to have a scheduled c-s and get her tubes tied... anyway, she is scheduled for 38w! If her body usually cooks the babies past 42w, isn't 38w way too early?!?!?!? Each babe she's had before was around 8-9lbs, no sign of post-dates issues.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to "gently" mention that women gestate differently and it appears she cooks them a little longer, but she did not seem interested in having a conversation about it.
:

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
While I see your point Janet, there is an important difference between "wasn't entirely ready to come out yet" which could be considered prematurity and "can't breathe without difficult because REALLY wasn't ready to come out yet" clinical prematurity.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Are they at the very least going to do an amnio to test for lung maturity?

I thought the ACOG's own statement was no scheduled c/s or inductions before 38 1/2 weeks .... or amnio for lung maturity if before 38 1/2 weeks....

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Just gonna cite an experience that sounds similar,

My cousin first two babies were induced at 42 wks and she was fully expecting her 3rd to be the same way, but unfortnately she had an emergency c-sec at 38 wks and baby ended up in the NICU for one week, he was "acting" like a premature baby, having apnea episodes. She theorized that she just bakes babies a bit longer really and having her baby at 38 wks was really like having the baby premature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts