Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of classes do you utlize/like the most? I am thinking about joining a fitness center and am interested in taking classes, b/c I get really bored when I just do the machines or walk. I was just wondering which classes you felt were most fun for you and why you like them.

· Registered
1,458 Posts
I really enjoy the dance classes. I take Zumba and belly dancing. I like the music and I like the variety. I'm going to try cycling this week as I can't fit more than one dance class into my fall schedule and I really need another way to get in my cardio.

· Registered
393 Posts
I *loved* my step aerobics class. (I plan to start loving it again as I get myself back into the gym 3 months PP.) My step class is hard ... really hard, but that's why I love it. When I first started, I was
when I realized the first song was "just" the warmup. As soon as I got a handle on the choreography and as soon as my fitness level increased (didn't take long), it became my favorite class. An hour of intense fat-burning cardio!

On the other end of the spectrum, I also loved my pilates class. My instructor was great and very attentive. If your gym offers a pilates class, I highly recommend taking it.

roomformore, I hope you like cycling. That was another favorite of mine.

· Registered
560 Posts
I love the hip-hop dance class (altho it's not entirely hiphop thankfully), I love that it's fun and entertaining, and I still work my butt off!! I also like a class which is a combo of yoga, pilates and balance stuff, nice and calming, but still good muscle work.

I also have a personal trainer tho, which is fantastic. I do things in the workout with her that I would never do on my own, mostly because I wouldn't know how, but also because she's there, pushing me gently. I would totally recommend one if you can swing it money-wise.

· Registered
1,537 Posts
I do zumba, any step class, cardio kickboxing and my fav- muscle pump and tone
I am also starting pilates
I do the treadmill and eliptical too and do need these classes to keep it fresh as well as reach other muscle groups.

· Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ladies. I won't be able to do my stroller exercise class anymore after my son starts preschool (time conflict), so it's nice to hear that those of you who participate in classes at your fitness center like it. I'm looking forward to it.

· Registered
2,596 Posts
I love spinning and yoga. I used to go teach step classes, but after a major knee injury it's just not an option any more.

I find that for most classes, my enjoyment is directly related to the personality of the instructor. I'm very picky.

· Registered
4,943 Posts
I do zumba and body sculpt mostly. I'm totally addicted to zumba and take it every time it's offered during the day. Body sculpt pushes me to my limit twice a week. I know I wouldn't work that hard w/o the instructor making up do all of this stuff.

Boysrus-Zumba does take a certain amount of practice. It takes most people 3-5 classes before they really "get" it. We always have new people. Seriously, everyday she asks if it's anyone's first time taking zumba and several people raise their hands. Get the feet first and after you're comfortable with the steps, add the arms (and hips or whatever). There are some people that already know Latin dance and have that perfect hip roll salsa and some people just do it without any hip roll. I even have one zumba teacher that can't do the hip action. We just do it b/c it's fun.

· Registered
208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by memiles View Post
I find that for most classes, my enjoyment is directly related to the personality of the instructor. I'm very picky.
This!!

I love spinning! I also like step aerobics, but don't do it as much. Other than that, I'm usually on the machines or lifting.

· Registered
1,167 Posts
I do Spinning the most, but I also love any kind of circuit class that involves going from station to station doing all sorts of different exercises combined with cardio. I used to do TaeBo and loved it, but we don't live near there anymore; I will do some kickboxing classes, but they just haven't compared to TaeBo.

· Registered
3,435 Posts
I *love* spin class! Last winter, I went to spin class at least 3 or 4 days a week. It definitely makes a difference as to who the instructor is...most of the instructors at my Y are great, but I've had a couple of duds, so I make sure to avoid them now.

I really want to try Zumba, I've heard wonderful things about it, but it's not offered at a good time for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.