Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DD is 21 months. We co-sleep and she is very committed to nursing to sleep.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am about to start teaching 3 days a week and am wondering how to handle naps when she is with a babysitter. When she was little and with a babysitter, she would just rock her to sleep or stick her in the stroller... but I have been at home with her for the last 7 months so she hasn't had anyone else put her to sleep and I'm not sure the rocking/stroller will work anymore.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't want to wean her entirely, but I'm wondering if I need to 'sleep train' her for both day and night in order to help her have good/productive naps during the day while I am away? I am also considering a pre-school like program but I feel like she would just cry during nap time...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Advice and experiences please!</p>

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
<p>My DD used to always nurse to sleep and I was concerned when a good friend started as her nanny 2 days a week a few months ago...it was a bit hard the first 2 days (not crying to sleep hard, just took a bit longer) and then they worked out there own routine and it wasn't a problem. One on one nanny is easier I would imagine - in your own home. My DD starts family childcare next week for the 2 days a week and I'm REALLY curious to see how nap time will go there....! We have a very strict no crying to sleep/no crying alone approach and our childcare provider knows this....</p>

·
Registered
252 Posts
<p>I'd suggest for the first couple of days you aren't available for naps having the babysitter take her to a park and totally exhaust her. Then when naptime comes have her rock her to sleep if that worked once upon a time. You would be amazed how their memories for sleep rituals go back. Our daughter still asks on rough nights to be wrapped in a blanket and we can go 5-6 months without doing it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also I'd suggest keeping your other routines intact during the transition. Changing other parts of the day will add stress to her day when she really just needs you for comfort. She will adjust to a new nap ritual. Perhaps start rocking her a little bit before nursing her to help her transition.</p>

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
<p>Admittedly I have only been away from my toddler for one nap so I do not have vast experience to draw on but she went to sleep easily in her pram the day I was in hospital. Her grandfather took her for a walk and she was asleep in 15 minutes. She woke after 45 minutes and when he rocked the pram she went back to sleep for another 45 minutes. Normally I feed her to sleep for daytime and nighttime sleeps.</p>

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
<p>I think the babysitter will have her own tricks to get her to sleep.  My son was home with me until he was 2.5 and always nursed for his nap.  At daycare he goes to sleep completely by himself.  They play music and will do back rubs if necessary but his teacher told me he is really good and just goes to sleep.  Shocking!  I did nothing to prepare him, continued nursing for naps, and even now he still needs to nurse for his naps on the weekend when he's with me.  My mom also gets him to go down for naps/bedtime with just snuggles.  It will be a lot harder for you to try and put her down a different way than for someone else to do it.  Afterall, she's used to nursing with you :)</p>

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
<p>I agree with the others, don't worry the child and sitter will work it out.  My dd is almost 2 and rarely falls asleep without nursing when I'm with her, but my 11yr dd never has a problem getting her to nap when I'm not around.  The oldest has never taken care of any child before this, so no special tricks or experience.  Just the basic cuddle works wonder</p>

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
<p>Your babysitter and LO need to find a new way to sleep together and as long as your babysitter is experienced, they should be able to work it out. You don't need to sleep train her.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Some ideas that worked for us: DH used to "nurse" DS to sleep with a bottle and then pacifier using the boppy, in the same way I nursed him, it worked really for him; over that time it shifted to falling asleep in his bed with a snuggle and then holding a hand; stroller; rocking in a rocking chair; DD always like to drink a bottle and then bounce to sleep on an excercise ball; later she learned to go to sleep in her toddler bed with singing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Just be prepared to be a little annoyed when the sitter ends up with some fast and simple way to go to sleep and your LO still wants to nurse to sleep for three hours with you. =)</p>

·
Registered
689 Posts
<p>I nurse my 18 month old to sleep still and had a remarkably easy transition to a sitter putting her down for a nap twice a week. I know it is so obvious but your sitter can't nurse her, and baby won't look for that from her. My sitter rocked and sang her to a doze, then placed her in her crib and stroked her face until she fell asleep. After about a month she was able to put her in her crib awake and she'd fall asleep without crying. My 5 year old is home at that time of day and concurs she doesn't cry. Because I don't believe it since she won't do it for me! She still gives me a hard time but she's a dream for the sitter. Hopefully you will have a similar experience!</p>

·
Registered
850 Posts
<p>I always gave a long list of "this is how I put so-and-so to sleep and follow it exactly this way or he wont sleep!" to whoever was watching him, usually the grandparents, and every.single.time. they told me he just fell asleep quietly and peacefully on their shoulder or in their lap or somewhere wonderfully easy, with out doing anything special whatsoever. So irritating haha. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, I suggest telling your babysitter what generally works for you, then give her the go-ahead to find what works for her, obviously as long as its safe for baby.</p>

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
My DS - who was very committed to nursing to sleep until he was 2, began childcare at 18 months and went to sleep easily from his second day there. No tears. And had longer naps than he ever had at home.<br><br>
Similarly, he is a million times easier for friends and family when they put him to sleep, than when DP or I do!<br><br>
He'll be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts