Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
What a fun question!

It's a toss up for me, either a home birth midwife paid for (I'm probably going to have a UC, there's no way we can afford a hb mw), OR totally frivolous cute bedroom decorations!!
I think it's part of my whole nesting thing, I would just love to have my toddler/new baby's bedroom to have a whole cute frog & bug theme. Framed full color photos of frogs in the mud or rainforest, a mural, mobiles of awesome bugs..... it looks really cool & colorful in my mind. But it's so totally unnecessary, I'd never waste money on such a thing. But if I had money to burn, woo hoo!

I am sure my husband would answer this question with something absolutely practical like a college tuition or stock in gold though.
But not me, I want frog pictures!!!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zjande View Post

I am sure my husband would answer this question with something absolutely practical like a college tuition or stock in gold though.
But not me, I want frog pictures!!!

OK-the first thing I thought of was college and grad school tuition bought and paid for! BEFORE I saw this!
:
:

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by expectantmami View Post
OK-the first thing I thought of was college and grad school tuition bought and paid for! BEFORE I saw this!
:
:
That's OK! You are just being smart & logical after all. Good thing my dh is smart & logical or we'd probably be homeless. With framed pictures of frogs.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
A house would be fantastic, especially our dream house in the town we want to live in. A trust fund for college would be great too!

Okay, so let me think of something specifically baby-related. I really want both a Moby wrap and an Ergo baby carrier. I have chronic back pain and have heard good things about both, and think they could both be useful. I'll definitely buy a Moby (unless I get one as a gift or something), and I'd consider buying an Ergo even though it's more expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
If a house counts, that would be it - but only if it was built by us and on a nice-sized piece of land. However, that answer seems kind of boring and not very baby-specifc. If I could have anything, I would want this. I am completely in lust with it, but for $450, it just ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
If a house counts, that would be it - but only if it was built by us and on a nice-sized piece of land. However, that answer seems kind of boring and not very baby-specifc. If I could have anything, I would want this. I am completely in lust with it, but for $450, it just ain't gonna happen.
I've seen these a couple of different places. Anyone know what makes them different than an Amby bed? I have an Amby I got off of Craigslist, and I LOVE it! My cousin's baby has colic pretty bad, so we use it for him and he'll sleep all night in it. DD also is under the weight limit for it and loves to lounge in it to read her books. I'm just wondering if this hammock has something special that makes the price difference worth it?

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
A house. Seriously. My neighbors drive me freaking nuts with the all night parties and stomping up and down the stairs. Not to mention how nasty this apt. is anyways and I feel very unsafe here...Even my old trailer looks good.

Other than that, payment for my midwife so we don't have to max the cc again.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGlimmeringHope View Post
I've seen these a couple of different places. Anyone know what makes them different than an Amby bed? I have an Amby I got off of Craigslist, and I LOVE it! My cousin's baby has colic pretty bad, so we use it for him and he'll sleep all night in it. DD also is under the weight limit for it and loves to lounge in it to read her books. I'm just wondering if this hammock has something special that makes the price difference worth it?
Part of the price difference is that it's from Australia. But, it also can fit children up to 3 years old and possibly older. IIRC, the Amby is only recommended to something like 9 months (feel free to correct me, I didn't doublecheck that).

Quote:

Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
While bored today, I checked out ebay - you can get a happy hangup on there for about $160. Still expensive, but WAY cheaper that $450!
Hmmm...That may be worth ignoring my eBay boycott for... I do hope you mean the Happy Hangup, though, and not the Amby. I know you can get those on eBay for cheap, but I don't want one
:

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
no, I mean the happy hangup. The shipping was out of this world (like over $50 I think) but that still is around $200 instead of $450. ANd that was "buy it now" so no auction. I personally HATE auctions, because it stresses me out, all the waiting!

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Well, I just looked and found those auctions! Unfortunately, they do not include the mattress or stand, which I would still have to buy. I'll have to do the math, but it looks like I'd still be out ~$300. Thanks for letting me know about the ebay auctions, though. That was pretty awesome of you

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
Quote:

Well, I just looked and found those auctions! Unfortunately, they do not include the mattress or stand, which I would still have to buy. I'll have to do the math, but it looks like I'd still be out ~$300. Thanks for letting me know about the ebay auctions, though. That was pretty awesome of you

Yea, as I was reading it over I realized that you had to buy the stand separately. How do you use it WITHOUT the stand? Can you bolt it to the ceiling or something?

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
While bored today, I checked out ebay - you can get a happy hangup on there for about $160. Still expensive, but WAY cheaper that $450!
That's so funny, during my mdc-less boredom I cruised Craigslist! lol I'm SO excited to start buying baby furniture & the car seat, etc. I promised dh I'd wait until I reached 30 weeks before starting to collect the big stuff. One more week!!

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Yep, it bolts into the ceiling and hangs from a chain. Great if own a home. Not so great for an apartment you know you'll be moving out of in 2.5 years. It turns out that whether I buy it from their site or eBay, it's within a few dollars of $450.

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
Quote:

Yep, it bolts into the ceiling and hangs from a chain. Great if own a home. Not so great for an apartment you know you'll be moving out of in 2.5 years. It turns out that whether I buy it from their site or eBay, it's within a few dollars of $450.

I kind of figured there had to be a catch!
Did you try craigslist? Maybe someone is getting rid of a used one for cheap. I wish they made an adult size happy hangup for me. *sigh*

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.