Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
were you also under your usual weight? I have lost a lot of weight since DS was born and am below my pre-college weight right now. My weight-loss has been stable for the past 5 months or so, though, but I just can't seem to gain any back. I still have not gotten my 1st ppaf and DS is 17 mos. He only nurses once during the day (nap time) and then quite a bit at night still, but he certainly goes a good 7 hour stretch between nursing during the day. I know his nursing is probably the cause of my lack of af, but I was wondering if my weight loss might also be a factor. DH and I want to TTC soon and I'm trying to figure out how to get my fertility back.

So I thought I'd put this idea out there... I know that breastfeeding affects weight differently in different women. If you were one of the people who got af back late, were you below your usual weight? Thanks!

xposted to Fertility...

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
With dd, I had my first cycle at 20 months. My weight got fairly low, for me (never less than 120 pounds) but I don't think it was connected. Dd just nursed night and day.

With ds, (who is a less intense nursling) I had my first cycle around 12 months, and my weight actually dropped to its lowest point in recent years when he was maybe 15-17 months.

For us I think it was all about the frequency of nursing, esp. at night.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am 16 months pp now and haven't gotten my cycle back yet. He still nurses a lot and yes, I am below my pre-pregnancy weight.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
James is 18 months, I haven't gotten AF back yet. James nurses pretty frequently, as in 8+ times a day (unless I work, then it's more like 5)

I'm AT my pre-pregnancy weight. But I don't eat very well so that might contribute

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
i ovulated somewhere in there but i havent had af since december 2002
i weight more than i ever had in my nonpregnant life.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I didn't get AF until 18 mos w/ ds1 and I was still a little above my pre-preg weight, which was just right, not too thin, like I was in high school.

I think it has more to do w/ nursing frequency and how many solids the baby/toddler eats.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Got AF back at 20 months pp, and was over my prepreg weight.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Got AF back at 22 mos. I was about 5-10 lbs. under my prepreg. weight (was thin/normal weight to begin with). Since AF came back (or maybe around the same time), it seems like I've put on a couple pounds. I don't really keep track; I just think clothes are fitting a bit tighter.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I just got my ppAF and dd was 16 months. I am 20 lb under my prepreg weight, but still about 30 lbs overweight, so not underweight at all. I know the trick for my body was when the babe will go 6 hours at night not nursing, no matter what happens during the day. This is what has happened with all 3 of mine.

·
Registered
870 Posts
unfortunately, I have been battling my weight for many years and during bf has been no exception. the only time i feel i have been able to eat well and be of a healthy weight simultainiously was during my pregnancies....that said,I did not get AF until dd was 20 mos and definately still nursing a lot.
hth.
love,
jen

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
I finally induced AF back when dd was 2.5 years, dd was an avid nurser, and I was below my pre-pg weight. I had finally managed to gain a few lbs but was still underweight.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Yes I was below usual weight. It's years since weaning and I'm now overweight again.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I did not get af back until 1st ds was 21 mos. and 2nd ds was 16 mos. It only came back after my boys stopped nightnursing. Each time it came the next month (almost to the day) of our last nightnurse. I was extremely underweight with the 1st ds as he had many allergies so I was on a very restricted diet for what seemed like forever. I have been my average weight with 2nd ds. I really think it was the nightnursing for me. Good luck ttc!
_Maris

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got AF back with DD #1 at 12 months, when she was down to 2-3 times a day. Mostly only twice a day. DD#2 is now 18 1/2 months old and there is no sign of AF. She nurses 3-4 times a day (mostly 3 times) and once at night. I don't weigh very much, but I've never weighed very much! I have heard though, the skinnier you are the longer it takes for your fertility to return when you're breastfeeding.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I am at 18 months with no sign of getting my period. I am basically at my pre-pregnancy weight but with a lot less muscle mass than I had before. My daughter nurses a lot day and night.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies! This was interesting-- not a clear pattern, but still a possible link in my mind. I'm going to work harder on gaining weight while hoping that DS will start to cut back his night nursings (yeah, right!
).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Momtwice
Yes I was below usual weight. It's years since weaning and I'm now overweight again.
Edited because I am NOW overweight again, not "not overweight again!"

Wishful Freudian slip!!!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
my dd is 27 mos and I'm 5 mos pregnant, and I never did get a pp af. I was at my prepreg. weight till the 12 month mark, then I gained about 15 lbs. So I was not underweight, rather at a pretty healthy weight. I think I read though that return of fertility depends a lot on your sleep patterns at night. if your baby sleeps five hours or more straight, you're more likely to get af back. if you wake up every two hours, you aren't as likely.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Got AF back at 29 months and was at my prepregancy weight.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts