Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
were you also under your usual weight? I have lost a lot of weight since DS was born and am below my pre-college weight right now. My weight-loss has been stable for the past 5 months or so, though, but I just can't seem to gain any back. I still have not gotten my 1st ppaf and DS is 17 mos. He only nurses once during the day (nap time) and then quite a bit at night still, but he certainly goes a good 7 hour stretch between nursing during the day. I know his nursing is probably the cause of my lack of af, but I was wondering if my weight loss might also be a factor. DH and I want to TTC soon and I'm trying to figure out how to get my fertility back.

So I thought I'd put this idea out there... I know that breastfeeding affects weight differently in different women. If you were one of the people who got af back late, were you below your usual weight? Thanks!

xposted to BF Beyond Infancy...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yes, I was about 10 lbs less than my prepreg weight - 117 or so. PPAF returned at 20 months and I was nursing 3-4 times during the day on a very regular schedule. It wasn't until almost a year after I weaned (DD was almost 24 months) that I gained some of the weight back.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Nope. With both of my cases where AF came late (at about 17 months with dc#2, and 18 months w/ dc#3), I have been at or above my pre-pregnancy weight for both pregnancies. And I am a good 40 pounds over my real pre-pregnancy weight (i.e. before any kids).

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I got mine at 17 months pp and was well above my pre-preg weight. My SIL got hers at 22 months pp and was right about at her pre-preg weight, maybe 5 lbs more.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
With dd af returned at 11 mos. pp and with ds af returned at 22 mos. pp.
Both times I was over my pre-pregnancy weight. Quite a bit actually

here's hoping she'll find you soon
and a
will follow soon after.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, so much for that theory!
I don't really see a correlation here, but I think I'll work on trying to gain some weight anyway in case it is a factor at least in my case. Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
I got AF back around 17 or 18 mos pp and I was around my pre-preg weight, maybe 5-10 lbs over. It wasn't until DS slowed down with the nigh nursing that I got AF back.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Yep, what you said. I didn't get my first PPAF until ds was 18mo. I was at one point as much as 20 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight, and I was not overweight to begin with. When I finally got AF I was just about back to my "normal" pre-preg weight and it was about 1 month after nightweaning. I think in my case it was a combination of those factors - weight & night-nursing - keeping AF away.

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
Just to throw a spanner in the works - I got my first af at 12 months, and they didnt become regular till around 20 months, and I got to below by pre-pg weight at around 9 months. actually, by the time we weaned at 2 1/2, I was 10 kg (22lbs) under my pre-pg weight, while still eating like 17 pigs!
:!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts