Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you buy it for guests?

I just realized we have no coffee left in the house and I really don't want to go and buy a whole pound just to make one pot for people that are coming for Easter dinner. We rarely have anyone over that wants coffee, so it would probably sit in my freezer for years and years like the last four bags I just threw out did.

What would you do?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
I keep some of those coffee bags in the house- kind of like tea bags. Folgers makes them.
I have never seen them. Do you know if they are sold in Canada? I will keep my eyes peeled next time I do groceries.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I go to a specialty coffee store or Starbucks and tell them that what I need (for example, enough coffee for x people to go with brunch). Then I buy the kind and amount they tell me to. They usually sell pretty small quantities.

If I have any left over, I send it home with a guest or make DH take it in to work to get used up.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
We keep a half pound bag of coffee in the freezer for guests. We also have one of those plastic doohickies (descriptive, I know) that you set over a mug and a box of the filters that go in it. Sometimes it is a long time between guests, but the coffee stays good in the freezer.

You don't have to buy a whole pound. I get it from the bins at the grocery store where you put as much as you want in the bag and grind it.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
You can also sometimes find (particularly around the holidays), little variety packs of pre-ground coffees. I have probably half a dozen of those lying around. They'll make a (small) pot each, but are vacuum sealed, so will last indefinitely in the pantry.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I mean, you know, is it a guideline, or a hard line? I have one that we are wanting to eat this weekend, but it will be almost 2 weeks past.

Can you freeze tofu?

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
We go to a nice independent coffee shop and get a small amount of coffee, and keep it in the freezer for guests. We brew it with a french press.

As for your tofu question, granolalight, I do use tofu that might be a week or two post dates, but only if it's not slimy. It's fine to eat if it's not slimy.

Tofu does change in its consistency when frozen, but sometimes that's a good thing. It ends up drier and has more of a "meaty" bite to it, which is great for using in stir fries or sauces.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I honestly dont buy coffee for guests, if I know my guests drink coffee we will go to the coffee shop down the street and buy them what they want but I dont have a coffee maker, french press, or anything like that in my house so I wouldnt even know where to start.

We also dont have soft drinks in our house and everyone who visits us knows that if they dont want water or breastmilk, they better bring their own drinks.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by granolalight View Post
I mean, you know, is it a guideline, or a hard line? I have one that we are wanting to eat this weekend, but it will be almost 2 weeks past.

Can you freeze tofu?
OMG I did not mean to post this here, I meant to post a new thread! Sorry!

I wondered why no one had responded to it. LOL

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by almadianna View Post

We also dont have soft drinks in our house and everyone who visits us knows that if they dont want water or breastmilk, they better bring their own drinks.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
We typically have guests that stay for a week or so in our house. In that case, I buy a pound of something nice and send the rest home with them. If its just one or two pot thing, I tend to go into one of the many coffee shops in my city and explain my situation and ask for grounds that will yiled the correct number of cups.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
DH and I don't drink coffee and never have. We don't even have a coffee pot and I have no desire to buy one and store it for occasional guests. My MIL tried to tell me when we first got married that I needed to buy one to have on hand for guests and I just looked at her like she has grown a 2nd head. Why on earth would I buy coffee to store and keep when neither DH nor I like it at all? Besides, I hate the smell of coffee.

So no, I don't buy coffee for guests.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by granolalight View Post
OMG I did not mean to post this here, I meant to post a new thread! Sorry!

I wondered why no one had responded to it. LOL

Ha ha!! When I first read your question I thought you were making a commentary like, "do bears poop in the woods? Do you eat tofu past the expiration date?" Like, yeah, it's so obvious!! lol

Yes, I keep coffee around for guests but I know some really, REALLY serious coffee drinkers and I don't live somewhere where you can just run to the corner coffee stand. I have a single cup drip cone and coffee in the freezer.

I like to have it around also because sometimes recipes will call for some brewed coffee, so it's not just for them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.