Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well not really, but kind of. I got these "biscuits" that are about 3 inches long, and supervised him with it. he has no teeth, but he just LOVED it and ate the whole thing! i was shocked. Its all made of grains and such, just wondering if you ladies think its ok for him to eat that at this age (7 months) He ate two after his avocado dinner.
(which i think he thinks is blah now...any spicing tips?)

so two questions there.
thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I never liked those cookies b/c they scared me. In theroy they were great but I was always scared that they would gum it at a place where it would break and half and then choke KWIM? so I just avoided them

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
hmmmm...I wouldn't, but lots of people do. We're going to try to avoid grains in general for ds until age 2. They are really tough for little ones to digest. And teething biscuit type things (these sound similar) are somewhat of a choking hazard for babies as well. I'm sure your dc loved it though...of course!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
My concern with those sorts of things is the refined grains and the sugar. Early introduction to refined grains and sugar is just a bad idea. Well, they're a bad idea generally, healthwise (diabetes anyone?) but especially bad for wee babies.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, this is good stuff. i'll try some garlic on the avocado, that might be fun.

oh yeah...when avocado changes color, is it still ok to give? (i put some in tuperware b/c i wanted to save it for tomorrow, he didn't eat the whole thing of course and i don't want to waste)

yeah, it looks like a choking hazard, but he had sooo much fun wtih it, and was so very proud of himself for eating it himself. I think i'll still give it occasionally, although all the concerns mentioned were valid. it's got lots of vitamins added to it. (i know i know "added"
: )

Its just amazing what these little guys can handle with no teeth, isn't it?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
We use them in moderation or dire circumstances (i.e. on the road and he hates everything else we just tried to give him). I think they're fine for a treat, but we don't have any grain issues. He never seemed to choke, either.

We like the Healthy Times organic biscuits. They have a wheat-free variety, and I think they're either low or no sugar.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Quote:
when avocado changes color, is it still ok to give?
Yep. Same thing as when apples change color. To minimize browning, if I'm not using the whole thing, I leave the skin on the other half and leave the pit in, then rub the exposed flesh with lemon or lime juice and seal it into a bag with as little air as possible. then rinse when you're ready to eat the rest of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts