Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month was the first month that I took progesterone supplements (prometrium). AF did not show until after I discontinued the progesterone, but I also had a chemical pg, so it could have been the pg that kept AF away.

This month I'm 7dpo and am holding off testing until at least 11 or 12dpo. My question is this -- will AF show up when she's meant to if I've got a BFN, or should I keep taking the progesterone until AF shows and keep testing until 14-15dpo and then stop the progesterone if I keep getting BFNs? I really have no idea how the progesterone will impact my LP length -- it was 10ish days before the prometrium.

· Registered
1,417 Posts
hi calihannah-
you might want to check with the person who prescribed it for you. my doc prescribed prog suppositories for me starting this month. she said use them from the time i o until i get af- or if i dont get af by 14dpo, take a test. so im taking that to mean that the suppositories at least wont keep af away unless i get pg with a sticky one, but they will hopefully at least give me a more normal length LP instead of the stingy little 7 day one i had first cycle. dont know if it's the same for prometrium. for me, if af is not here by 14 dpo and hpt is negative, i'll be getting a quant beta hcg before i stop the progesterone.

· Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by calihannah View Post
My question is this -- will AF show up when she's meant to if I've got a BFN, or should I keep taking the progesterone until AF shows and keep testing until 14-15dpo and then stop the progesterone if I keep getting BFNs?
Its different for every woman... some will get AF still on progesterone (espcially if progesterone isnt the cause of their LP length... or get it at a normal time like 14-16dpo) others wont get AF until they stop (if they are especially sensitive to progesterone or they started taking it before ovulation happened... in which case they totally held off ovulation to begin with. Its frustrating, but it happens)

So... call your doctor. They will LIKELY tell you to test at 14dpo and stop if negative. However, they may do things differently.

· Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My doctor's instructions were to stop taking it when AF showed, but I'm not sure whether AF will show or not while taking the progesterone

She's very good at some things -- like she'll look at my charts and believe in them, but in other things, she'll be totally dismissive -- like she kept repeating to start the progesterone 1-2 days after a positive OPK, since she didn't seem to get that I was charting and could confirm O that way.

In any case, I'm sure I didn't start the progesterone until 3 days post-O, so at least I won't have the case that Mae described where O was held off by the progesterone.

I'll call again and ask this coming week...though hopefully I won't have to because I'll have a BFP...fingers crossed...actually, crossing toes, too...

· Registered
1,417 Posts
ha! i think we have the same doctor.

afm- i had an ALMOST positive opk on cd 10- that was the very first one i took. since then, they have been much much fainter. i had great cm and cp on days 9-11, now im dry as a bone. im nearly certain i o'd on either cd10-11, and i just was a tad too late on the opk, but i havent started the prog supps yet, because my temp is very pokey, hasnt really shot up there yet, and i am afraid of just the thing maeryn is talking about if i start it and i havent actually o'd yet. i keep thinking, tomorrow, my temp will either be up or down and i will know, but i've been saying that for the past few days. it's not clear. i'm thinking i might take one more opk this afternoon and if it's still neg, i might start the prog, only because if it's negative, given my cp and cm i know im not on the verge of o'ing, but if i did o when i think i did (and ff gave me crosshairs on 'research') then i am 4 dpo, and i had af on 7 dpo last month, so i don't have much time.

if anyone wants to take a look and give opinion, please feel free.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2caf4e

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.