Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>...what would you or wouldn't you do?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'll admit...I'm a weinie and can't bring myself to take a test.  But I have this horrible head and chest cold...and just am not sure how to safely knock it out.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any help will be appreciated.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Mrs B</p>

·
Registered
179 Posts
<p>Paracetamol / Tylenol is widely considered safe to take during pregnancy.  As most medicine is ineffective against colds anyway, you might as well take (just) that for pain relief.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Get better soon!</p>

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
<p>Other than Tylenol, I wouldn't take anything.  Maybe try a neti pot?</p>

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
<p>If I thought I was pregnant I would behave as if pregnant - neti pot, tea, steamy showers, rest.</p>

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>Thank you all!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>For Tylenol, I take children's CVS-brand normally.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I wanted to take some Ricola cough drops today...but was reading the ingrediants...and just wasn't sure.  And I need to go downstairs and douse myself in Emergen-C.</p>
<p><br>
THank yoU!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Mrs B</p>

·
Registered
997 Posts
<p>I personally would test so I know for sure and then get on some vitamins if you aren't already. Use a neti pot and vaporizor to break that congestion up.</p>

·
Registered
303 Posts
<p>Last pregnancy I had a horrible cold and really wanted my Nyquil.  I was 12 dpo and tested - BFN, so I took the medicine and slept great, then tested positive the next morning and spent the next couple months obsessing over that one Nyquil.  So my recommendation is don't do anything you wouldn't feel comfortable about if it turns out you are pg!</p>

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
<p>I am pregnant and have a horrible cold. I used the last of my Zicam nasal swabs and have been taking extra vitamin C and echinacea. My midwife has told me all of these are safe. I use saline nasal drops for my sinuses because they feel like they are on fire. At night I use one of those plug-in stuffy nose things. I can't remember what they are called now. I think Vicks (in the US) makes one and there's at least one other brand. It's a thing that plugs into an electrical outlet with a slot for a medicated pad. The pad gets heated and releases vapors into the air that help with congestion. The medication is just menthol but it does have some other chemicals in the solution so read the label. It is considered safe. My OB said I could take ibuprofen (It's not usually unsafe in early pg, but rather late pg, 3rd trimester) for pain but I'm already taking daily 81 mg aspirin so I'm not taking it. I can't take acetaminophen with the aspirin because of the risk of liver damage.</p>

·
Registered
269 Posts
<p>Vit C, Vit D, and hydrate like crazy. Seriously, I've never had a medicine be a miracle cure for a nasty cold. Sometimes you just might as well suffer...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've always found lemon honey water (hot) to help my throat and to add to my hydration.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, SLEEP! I get all the rest I can to help my body. Rest, relax, etc.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sorry you feel bad.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Chicken soup wouldn't hurt either :)  Add some onion and garlic and drink up!</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts