Mothering Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
3 days later for me, but my MW told me that usually it's more like 24-48 hrs, if it's going to work.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
As far as I can recall...got stripped about 4pm, lost the mucous plug the next morning around 9, contractions on and off that day, real labor started around 9pm. So around 30 hours later.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I had my membranes stripped with my second. They were stripped Friday afternoon sometime (around 1 p.m. I think). Woke up 4 a.m. Sat morning to contractions that were strong enough to make me think this was 'it'. However, they fizzled out by about 10:30 a.m. I had contractions and lost mucous plug off and on the whole rest of the day. Sunday morning 4 a.m. again woke up with strong contractions. That time they stuck around and DD was born at 3 p.m.

·
Registered
695 Posts
With DS2 I had my membranes stripped on his due date at about 10:00am. Woke up from a nap at 3:00pm with serious contractions and had a baby in my arms at 6:30. I'd been having prodromal labor for weeks though and I think I was around 3 cm when I had the stretch and sweep done, so baby was pretty ready for take off anyway.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Stripped at 10:30 AM, first contraction 2 hours later at 12:30. Baby born at 6:50 that evening.<br>
Although my MW said sometimes doing it twice can help - within 18-24 hours. I think there is research to support that to, so if it doesn't work the first time, it's worth trying again. I was 41W4D, so that's why I tried it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had it done twice, same pregnancy:<br><br>
The first time I was 4 cm, 80% effaced and....nothing.<br>
Had it again 1 week later, much more aggressively, at 5-6cm and 90%. My water broke 2 hours later, and baby was in my arms 5 hours after that!

·
Registered
20 Posts
3 days exactly!<br><br>
But at 41 weeks, I guess it could have just been time..

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I have had my membranes stripped with 4 out of 5 of my pregnancies. The only time I went into labor within the 48 hour time frame was with my last one. I had been having prodromal labor off and on for several days before the stripping though, so I don't think it necessarily 'worked' but my contractions started up again within an hour and she was born about 11 hours later.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
dd1- had membrane sweep at 40 weeks, then at 41 weeks and again at 42 weeks. Labor started three days after the third attempt.<br><br>
dd2- had membrane strip at 39 weeks and again at 40 weeks. The 40 week sweep was at an afternoon appointment, labor started that night around midnight.<br><br>
ds- had membrane sweep at 39 weeks and again at 41 weeks. Actually had two sweeps on the same day... one sweep at an early morning appointment, the second sweep at a late afternoon appointment that same day (I was up against a "not past 41 week" vbac ban). Labor started a few hours after the second sweep.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
stretch-and-sweep around 4pm, dd was born a little before 4am, so no more than 12 hours. I was a little more crampy than I had been, but since I'd had a lot of prodromal labor I wasn't convinced it was real labor (ie going to keep going) until 2 hours before she was born.<br><br>
I'd been on the cusp of labor for a few weeks and at that point was 5 days past my edd, and 4cm stretchy to 8cm, so just needed a nudge to go into labor. The stretch and sweep worked perfectly!

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I was eleven days overdue with dd#2 and stress tests were less than reassuring, so I had a membrane sweep and contractions started immediately. I was already 4 cms dilated when my midwife did the sweep, and dd was born a little less than 24 hours later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts