Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... how does he do it?<br><br>
My DH has always been involved in bedtime, particularly the last step - I would nurse DD sleepy, then pass her to DH - but she needed to be swaddled until just a few weeks ago at 12mo's!<br><br>
Without the swaddle, it's been easiest for me to just nurse DD to sleep. But the trade-off seems to be that DH can no longer go in to comfort her if she wakes before she's normally hungry at night, b/c he's no longer her last memory before sleep.<br><br>
This is esp. problematic b/c I work 1-2 nights/week... Sometimes I can be there to put DD to bed, and it's never more than 2-3 hours at a time. But a few nights ago, DD woke while I was gone and was hysterical when DH tried to comfort her back to sleep. He ended up putting on a baby video that we keep for "emergencies" like sickness, b/c after 30m he didn't know how else to distract her and help her calm down.<br><br>
So what do your DH's do, sans swaddle, with an older babe/almost toddler?

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I'm not sure I'm following how the swaddle makes it easier for him to soothe her. Was it just her sleep cue/association? I've heard sleeping bags are the step up from swaddling. Many mamas swear by them as the grown up swaddle.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The transition to not swaddling changed how we did bedtime, b/c without the swaddle, she was harder to hold in arms, less interested in being rocked while nursing... It was simpler for me to just lie down and nurse with her. That cut DH out of the bedtime routine/last step that he always used to do, and without that she won't accept him for a night waking like she used to - she wants the boob!!<br><br>
So I'm not so much needing a replacement for the swaddle, it's just that we always did the putting to bed this one way. I'm curious what other people do, and what DH could possibly do.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
DH sits in the rocking chair with DD and pats her on the back. I think she sits straddling him laying on his chest and rather than swaddling (we also just gave that up at 14 months due to the heat) he wraps a blanket around her shoulders tightly that he can unwrap when he lays her down. This works very well for naps and most times for bed time.<br><br>
Sometimes she won't fall asleep like this but will get groggy, then he puts her in bed and pats her back with the quiet music playing, which is exactly what I do after I nurse her. Maybe you need to change what YOU are doing, gently and slowly, so that it is something that your DH can do if you are not there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts