Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did your mw ask that you pay your complete fee up front and then she reimbursed you after the insurance company paid her?

How was the payment schedule set up with your mw?

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pamamidwife
Did your mw ask that you pay your complete fee up front and then she reimbursed you after the insurance company paid her?

How was the payment schedule set up with your mw?
I hand them my provincial health card at each visit and they swipe it in their swiper thing that looks sorta like a debit machine.

done. Sorta like a credit card I didn't have to pay.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
My insurance paid my homebirth. I paid nothing up front. Birth center's billing woman got all the info and we were good to go. After the homebirth, I got a bill for what they didn't cover - think it was in the neighborhood of $200.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
for our first child's birth, we paid up front because we weren't entirely convinced the insurance company would actually pay. the midwives did not make this request, however: it was our choice to do so since the midwives offered us a discount for complete payment by 27 weeks.

~claudia

·
Registered
624 Posts
My mw was a contracted provider with my health insurance company. With my dd's birth (almost 6 years ago) the insurance company was billed in one lump sum after her birth. With my ds (born 6 months ago) she billed my insurance company after every few visits, they paid their 80% and then I paid my 20%. If your mw is a contracted provider with your insurance company I wouldn't think that you would be paying upfront. If she's not a contracted provider then, I don't know. Maybe call your insurance company to see how they normally handle midwifery services?

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
If we are talking an out-of-network situation here, then the reasonable thing is to expect the client to pay the midwife, and then the client file with the insurance company, and the client is then reimbursed what the insurance deems it will pay.

This is the way it works with all other out-of-pocket services and insurance.

mv

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just wondering how other midwives do it. I've heard midwives do both, and I'm considering asking for the fee up front and then billing and reimbursing.

Or, I'm considering asking that they pay their deductible and $55/prenatal visit and I reimburse them whatever is over their deductible.

Any thoughts?

mv, I'm fine billing for my clients, as I have a great biller and she does it all electronically. However, the issue is that by waiting until after the birth, I have no regular income until after someone delivers. Then there's the issue if we transport....

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
My midwives ask for up-front payment and reimburse if the insurnace pays. But midwifery is unregulated and pretty unheard of in MI. The woman I talked to at our insurance co. had never heard of homebirth. We switched to medicaid half-way through the pg and that never covers homebirth in MI. So here it's pretty reasonable thing to request. I got the impression that many women are um, over-optimistic about the their insurance paying.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I homebirthed in Oregon, it was covered by insurance. I believe the insurance company paid my midwife after the birth. Paying up-front wouldn't have been an option for us, but I understand the need for midwives to have income!

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
We're paying the mw's up front for the deductible on our insurance. Then they will bill the insurance co. after the birth. If the insurance doesn't pay it all, we'll be responsible for another $400 -- since that's the difference between our deductible and their standard prenatal/homebirth charge.

They've had good experience with our insurance co., though, so I'm not worried about it at all.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I have always had to pay my MW's in full (this is the 3rd time) and then after the insurance company reimburses the piddly amount for being out of network AND a homebirth I get that check back from the company. I am well aware of how insurance companies work and consider any money we get back icing on the cake. Paying out of pocket for the homebirth you want is worth it. And FWIW I pay $3600 to my MW. Payment is expected by 36 weeks. Pamamidwife, a transfer is too bad, but you still deserve payment for all the excellent prenatal care and postpartum care you gave. Glad to hear you have a fabulous insurance biller. Too many MW's do not and don't handle their office stuff as well as their mdwifery stuff.
Best!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hi Pamamidwife,

In my payment contract I tried to keep it simple 300 intital, 100 prenatal, total due by 40 weeks, 200 discount if paid by 36wks. Mostley everyone pays by 36 weeks. If they have insurance that covers, we do this through a midwifery billing service and when I recieve the check they get money back.
Sometimes it takes a year or two to get money back from companies.

I used to do payment, barter stuff but didn't get reimbursed a couple of times...I can't afford this and respect myself and my clients too much to let this cloud what should be a very special relationship and life-important memory.

Most businesses get paid for thier work as they do it, we should be no different. That is how I feel about it, and I am perfectly comfortable after what I have expereinced doing this.

Best of luck in decideing what to do! Paige

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I'm using state health care so I don't pay a thing. The billing agent for the MW takes care of getting the payment from the state.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Like other posters, my mws bill at the end and get reimbursed directly from the insurance, then bill me for the rest. They have us call the insurance company with a form of questions to get answered (do you cover the mws? will you pay for the birth center? do you cover hospitals xyz? etc) to make sure that people are aware of their coverage ahead of time.

It does suck for them not to get paid until the end, but they do enough volume that I guess they manage. I feel bad for them, I would gladly pay at least a co-pay each time but its easier for them to not futz with money at the birth center at all I guess.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
We pay everything upfront with the total due at 36 weeks. She will do the insurance paperwork for us though. Our insurance covers 60 %. So we know how much we'll get back just not when exactly.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My last birth was covered by insurance. I had to pay it all upfront (a certain % at each appointment til it was paid off) then she sent it all in to the insurance company after the birth. We've switched insurance companies now and it doesn't cover.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
We paid a $800 deposit by 28 weeks and we're still waiting to see what insurance pays. (From what they said on the phone it should be the remainder and possibly then some.) If they don't get the rest, we'll start working on a payment plan.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My MW is in network for my insurance. They will cover everything completely, with the exception of my $5 copays (up to a maximum of $100 per pregnancy), which I pay directly to her.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts