Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>How long was it?  My DS just turned a year and still is 90-100% breastfed on any given day.  He just doesn't care for solid foods.  I'm fine breastfeeding as much and as long as he needs; he can adjust to eating solid food at his own pace.  But I'm curious how long it might be before he really gets into it.  He has never liked purees, so we just always give him little bits of what we're eating or something else simple if there isn't anything suitable on our plates.  He has about 6 things he <em>usually</em> likes to eat, but even when he does eat it's maybe 1-2 tablespoons.  Other things he likes one day and not the next.  We let him try lots of things, but he mostly spits them back out after one taste (though we keep giving him chances to try them again later).  We gave him his first sugar on his birthday (cupcake) and he even spit that out!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He's growing just fine, I'm not really worried, but I am curious how this kind of situation has gone for other kids.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
<p>My DS was basically 99-100% BF until 14mos (he'd have a TINY bite or two of something once every day or two, and there were a few times he'd eat substantial amounts but it was the exception not the rule). Somewhere between 14-18mos he started eating maybe up to a 1/4 cup of food a day on a good day, and then around 18mos we really really encouraged him to eat more solids (often denying him nursing, because it was just too much for me to continue nursing him several times an hour). So now he's 23mos and I would say we're down to 70% breastmilk, 30% solids, but every once in a while he has a day or two where it's closer to 50/50.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He loves trying new things, and there's not a single food he won't touch --he loves mushrooms, avocados, 90% dark chocolate, kiwi, tofu -- but he still chews up & then spits out some things -- clementines, celery, sometimes beans or pasta if they aren't soft enough for him. He almost never eats breakfast, basically only 1-3 bites if he does, and lunch is the same but toward the end of the day he eats a lot more. At this point it's hard to remain patient because he is still nursing SOOO much but at the same time I'd glad he's still nursing otherwise he'd likely need toddler formula or boost or something.</p>

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
<p>My youngest was about 15 months when he started getting really interested in solids and it was a process from that point until about 18 months until he was eating mostly solids.</p>

·
Registered
332 Posts
<p>I think she started swallowing stuff (not just tasting) at like 15 months...and then at 18 months she discovered food and started gaining a lb a month!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts