Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And where do you get them?<br><br>
I am thinking mostly in terms of lights less irritating to those with autism spectrum conditions. I've noticed that I tend to fall asleep in DS's speech therapy (and used to in his OT in the same hospital, though there were at least some windows there), and the speech therapist suggested it might be because there is only flourescent lights and no windows in her office.<br><br>
So I'm wondering what might be healthiest for my family--not that we're lacking for sunlight at this time of year!<br><br>
Sherri

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Plain incandescent bulbs, and we get them at CVS.<br><br>
I'd love to switch to long-life fluorescents, but they do bother me.<br><br>
The best would be to live someplace where I could avoid artificial light during the day. I saw an architectural show in which a house was designed to need very little artificial light--that's what I'd like.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well, we have almost converted the whole house to flourescents, simply because of the cost factor. They do last a LOT longer, although the initial investment can be costly. We just bought a few at a time over time instead of changing them all at once.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't have any suggestions for your situation, but I recently learned that those compact fluorescent bulbs (which we also use) contain mercury. It's not a problem unless you break one open or need to dispose of one. Hopefully there will be recycling programs in place by the time they start to burn out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know if this helps at all, but I work with a child who has autism. I know lights can be big distractors (as I'm sure you have found!) and from what I have read, incandescent bulbs sound like the best idea. Sometimes fluorescent lights flicker and are very distracting.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
We're trying an experiment in our house this year, actually. We converted half the house to CF and half is still traditional. Now we're paying special attention to where Bede likes to be, to see if he avoids any particular areas. In September we're going to switch it all around and see if it makes a difference.<br><br>
So far he doesn't seem to mind the CF bulbs, which is what I expected. He's not (markedly) visually or auditorily defensive, so the flicker and/or whine doesn't seem to bother him at all.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">I don't have any suggestions for your situation, but I recently learned that those compact fluorescent bulbs (which we also use) contain mercury. It's not a problem unless you break one open or need to dispose of one.</td>
</tr></table></div>
yeah, we just switched and I love the lighting now, and then the next day we heard there's mercury in them. hmmm. hope it's OK, I don't want to go back to bad lighting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts