Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are off to greece this week! Does anyone have any tips/experiences on the 10 hour flight and the time change???

The airline says we'll be in a bulkhead seat with a bassinet. I can't even begin to picture what that will be like. What is the best way to keep DS on schedule with a 7 hour time difference?

Thanks ladies!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I went to England last summer with DS, then 12 mo. We also had a bulkhead seat with bassinette. They are good things to have. Just line them with a blanket and maybe a pillow, depending on the size of your kiddo. They are like a vinyl hammock thingy. DS slept in it for a couple hours of the 8 hr flight. I was flying alone with DS but the international flight attendants were so nice and helpful and were constantly asking if i could use some water ( i was nursing hime for most of the flight to help his ears), another pillow, or a snack. I think international flight attendants are just more patient than the domestics, in my experience.
As far as the time change, it was tough. We landed at 9 am british time ( midnight CO time), and we went straight to bed for a nap. IT was hard to convince DS that it was time for bed at regular ( for where we were) bedtime, since his body was 7 hours behind, but since i nursed and coslept it helped him to gear down for sleep. The circadian rhythm is agreat thing - just being in darkness at bedtime helped. I had a MUCH harder time getting him to sleep when i was in Canada earlier this month and it didnt get dark until 11pm.
I would advise sticking as closely to your kiddo's bedtime routine as possible and DO put him to sleep at Greek bedtime, dont let him stay up until America bedtime. If he usually gets a bath before bed, do that. Take along a favorite lullabye cd and a cd player if possible - that helped me a TON. Read bedtime books and try to do everything as close to home-like as possible. The first night will likely be tough but he will eventually get settled.

How old is your babe? Wishgarden Herbs makes a good tincture for calming babies (non-sedative) called Sleepy Nights for Kids. It worked quite wekk for DS.

Enjoy Greece! I am so jealous! Drink an ouzo and eat some souvlaki for me!

Lisa

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.