Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I hope some of you will be able to help me see the light or at least shed some light on my situation!

We use a Holistic type Pediatrician who I adore and appreciate very much! However, this is the first time I am feeling uncertain with her advice.

She tested my ds (5.5) for food allergies, IgE and IgG antibodies in his blood. It was NOT a RAST test, just a standard immunoglobulin E and Immunogloublin G blood test to check again the "Big 8". We got back the results for Casein and Wheat already but the rest is pending.

He did have a high number of IgG's to wheat and casein. She suggested I completely eliminate those foods from his diet for 6 months and re-introduce (challenge). However, he has ZERO symptoms of food allergies. So when I re-introduce, what in the world I'm supposed to be looking for is beyond me! (They tested him out of curiousity because he's hyper and has some constipation.) Well, if you met my husband and any boy in my family, it would clearly explain where he get's his hyperactivity from! I guess if I removed the foods and he got calmer and the constipation improved, I'd know it's the foods but I have my doubts. His younger sister is always constipated too and that too, I think comes from my family blood line. Alot of people in my famiyl have struggled with constipation. We already don't so alot of dairy so that's not a problem to eliminate but wheat is in everything!!!

His test for Celiac came back negative so he does not have Celiac, which I figured he didn't since he does not have any symptoms.

My BIGGEST problem, is when I research this, all I can find information on are IgE's (the TRUE allergies) I have not been able to find any concrete studies that suggest IgG's in the blood are a problem. The doctor thinks they are and said we should have not have any antibodies to food in our blood but I even checked out 3 books from the library on food allergies and they ALL said that IgE's are allergies and IgG's are a normal response to food. These books (written by allergists MD's) say that IgG blood testing is highly contraversial and not daignostic.

I just don't know what to do! Eliminating these foods for 6 months is a huge life adjustment and if it were completely medically nessecary I'd comply but I'm struggling with what to do when I have not read anything scientifically proving that IgG's in the blood are abnormal. I hate to not listen to the Pediatrician but I'm needing more proof that this is a problem.

He had no IgE's in his blood, just IgG's.

Seems like the few things I find online that suggest IgG's ARE abnormal, are from Holistic doctors (like ours) and the modern medicine doctors/allergists say they are a normal response to food.

Who's right?!!!
:

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Check out the Healing The Gut tribe in H & H. A lot of us are dealing with IgG food sensitivities. There are a lot of very informed mamas over there who can help you with your question.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
IgGs are food intolerances, not allergies. It is a different response set, IgE is anaphalatic. An IgG food intolerance could be hyper activity and constipation, along with other things like gasiness, super moodiness, tiredness, and the list goes on. Did you know that constipation is in fact a symptom of Celiacs?
On the Celiac subject was your son tested with the full 5 tests, plus the gene specific tests and a full metabolic panel test? All of those are very telling to the true existance or potential of Celiac disease. The single test for Celiac is only 29% effective in catching cases of anything less than full villi atrophy. See my siggy, Celiac information is my life now.
I think your doctor is very cutting edge to do IgG testing, it is medically contraversal, food intolerances in and of themselves are contraversal in the medical community, only food allergies are fully accepted.
A couple of good reads - Dangerous Grains and Is this My Child?
I would take your pediatrician's advice, but for 3 months, not 6 months. The elimination of wheat in a person who is not intolerant can lead to intolerance. Meaning they will never be able to eat wheat again, this is something my dh has read and researched.
The behavioral change in my child without wheat has been a complete 180, this is separated from the Celiac which caused him pain in his belly for years.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electra375 View Post
On the Celiac subject was your son tested with the full 5 tests, plus the gene specific tests and a full metabolic panel test? All of those are very telling to the true existance or potential of Celiac disease. The single test for Celiac is only 29% effective in catching cases of anything less than full villi atrophy. See my siggy, Celiac information is my life now.
My son had a full colonoscopy last month. He took biopsy's of many different parts of his colon and everything came back normal. The bloodowrk they did to check for Celiac was Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody, IGG, IGA, IGM. My "cutting edge Pediatrician" said those were normal and ruled out Celiac.

All his IGG Subclasses were normal, too.

He's never had stomach aches and although I call him constipated, he DOES poop everyday. The GI just said that he's not fully emptying when he does go.

I do not suspect Celiac at all.

The GI even said that he highly doubts that his IgG's to food have anything to do with his GI tract. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I'm glad they did do all the test, unfortunately too many docs do just the TTG and often times run it without the Total IGA, which leaves more questions than answers.

Your son has been through a lot.

I would still take your pedi's advice removing casein and wheat, also clarify with him if it is just wheat or if he meant gluten. For ex: Newman's Own makes a wheat free fig newton, but my Gluten free child can not have it b/c it is made with barley flour.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He HAS been through ALOT! And believe it or not, his younger sister has been through MORE. *sigh* She was also tested for Celiac (negative). So they did do the right tests to rule out gluten? right? Just making sure! His sister has been tested for hirschsprung's disease through barium enemas, biopsy and manometry because she is CHRONICALLY constipated. She even had a spinal MRI done a few months back. They can find NOTHING wrong! She just turned 3 and since birth has had trouble stooling. Our Pediatrician mentioned running food allergy panels on her but I just don't know...

I guess with all he's (they've) been through, that's why I question if it's worth eliminating foods from his diet based on IgG's. Or is it just fuel to a fire?

Thanks so much for your help and input! I really appreciate it!

P.S. She (the Ped.) checked his gluten IgG's and IgE's but those results are still pending. We should know in a day or 2.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
What are their iron levels? My ds1 is constipated cronically and has very high iron levels and he does not take supplements with iron, I actually need to have a more extensive set of test done to rule out the genetic high iron disease, he is darker skinned compared to anyone in the family.

I would put merit in the IgG levels, they are indicative of intolerances IMO.

Have your heard of Brain Talk? You might find some very useful or at least intriguing ideas there.
http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electra375 View Post
What are their iron levels?
Their iron levels are fine! Their CBC's always come back normal.

Like I said in my first post, MY family has a long line of stomach issues. Constipation, Ulcers, Diverticular, IBS, Etc... and the ARNP at the GI Clinic said that the mother's side of the family carries down strong genes for GI issues. Great.

No one in my family has had any blood allergy testing until my children, and it was mainly done on my ds because of his hyperactivity. And again, ALL the boys in my family are hyper as well as my husband so he gets it from both sides!

I'll check out the forum you suggested, thanks!

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
If you could give me an idea please, because I've no basis upon which to analyse things.

Can you outline for me, what your diet was before the testing was done.

Give me a rough menu for a week or so.

Even with all the information, we are guessing, because without knowing what is normal diet for you, how can we have any basis upon which to assess your doctor's advice?

Apart from not going to the toilet in the way you thought he should and hyperactivity was there any other reason for you taking him to the doctor?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts