Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I got tentatively diagnosed with lichen sclerosis, a 'vulvar skin condition of unknown origin' kind of like psoriasis. I've had symptoms for a couple of months that I was really worried about, so it's a relief to have a diagnosis (I didn't get a biopsy but the gyno is pretty sure it's what I have). Anyway I've never had anything worse than the flu while pregnant before, and now I've been prescribed antibiotics as well as a topical steroid cream. I normally treat things naturally as much as possible and am really anxious about taking abx while pregnant. Does anyone have any experience with either taking abx or using a steroid cream or other strong medication while pregnant? Obviously the Dr assures me both are safe in pregnancy but I am still wary. I haven't filled out either prescription yet.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I wish I had an answer for you! I'm assuming you probably asked about other remedies you could try before antibiotics. If there aren't any other options, I would probably take them and just take probiotics during and for a couple of weeks after your course of treatment. I'm sure there's plenty of time for your gut bacteria to get back to normal before birth. I hope the treatment works for you!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding! That's a good call with the probiotics. I think I'm actually not going to take the abx - I did ask if I could avoid them and the dr. advised I could try the topical steroid for a week and if it improves skip the abx. But I'm really not down with the steroid! I'm going to wing it with some natural remedies first to see where I get.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So today I got tentatively diagnosed with lichen sclerosis, a 'vulvar skin condition of unknown origin' kind of like psoriasis. I've had symptoms for a couple of months that I was really worried about, so it's a relief to have a diagnosis (I didn't get a biopsy but the gyno is pretty sure it's what I have). Anyway I've never had anything worse than the flu while pregnant before, and now I've been prescribed antibiotics as well as a topical steroid cream. I normally treat things naturally as much as possible and am really anxious about taking abx while pregnant. Does anyone have any experience with either taking abx or using a steroid cream or other strong medication while pregnant? Obviously the Dr assures me both are safe in pregnancy but I am still wary. I haven't filled out either prescription yet.
I'm sorry you're going through that! I was on antibiotics (and not safe ones) 3 different times during my first pregnancy. I had severe strept, a horrible UTI, and a debilitating sinus infection. It's like I got preggo and my immune system gave up. I took the antibiotics because I needed to (wasn't happy about it), and my son was born completely healthy, perfect APGAR score, and weighed over 9lbs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.