Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
get a part time job or take a few classes? Im the main caregive for the kids 24 hours a day during the week and 90% of the time on the weekends. My parents have offered to watch the kids for me to get a PT job (like 8 hours max a week) or take a college course once a week. Think I should? I feel it would make me a better mother what do you think?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamatoLL View Post
get a part time job or take a few classes? Im the main caregive for the kids 24 hours a day during the week and 90% of the time on the weekends. My parents have offered to watch the kids for me to get a PT job (like 8 hours max a week) or take a college course once a week. Think I should? I feel it would make me a better mother what do you think?
I don't see any reason why not
Being a Mother doesn't mean that you can't have your own interests in life. Go for it

·
Registered
796 Posts
I don't know about a job, but personally I do online classes and love it! I go through Columbia College. They are completely accredited so you can get financial aid to help pay for the classes. I get the Pell grants....don't even have to pay it back!

It allows me to get my degree (one more class to go!) so that I can be the example I want to be to my daughter. It also is flexible enough that I can do it when dd is asleep. I love that it gives me a reason to read intellectual books and have grown-up discussions, even if it is all online.

If you have any questions....let me know!

Do what makes you happy. Its great that your child has grandparents that they can spend the time with and I think that would only be an asset and something that should be done even if you just use the 8 hours to sleep. :)

with smiles

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Quote:

Kind of sounds like you want to.

Sure, go for it! SAHMs need outside interests as well. You will not stop being a Mom if you do.

·
Registered
595 Posts
i'm actually doing that! It gives me a little bit of a "break" and a little extra spending money. I start monday so we'll see how it goes! You should do it if you want you can just see how you like it and always quit if you need to.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamasaurus View Post
Kind of sounds like you want to.

Sure, go for it! SAHMs need outside interests as well. You will not stop being a Mom if you do.

Ya I do. I think maybe I'll just take a nutrition class or do yoga. Something to releive my stress. Im kind of excited. Also my moms offered to help pay for my sons gymnastic and swimming lessons and go w/ us so someone can be w/ my DD and I dont have to leave my DD at home! Yay!!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I think its a good opportunity to take a class or work PT (whatever you decide) because it will give you some time to focus on your interest, which is definitely a positive thing.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
I'd vote for taking classes. Maybe even just one college class a semester if you can afford it. Not only would it give you something interesting to do, but it would make you more marketable in the future if you need to be.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Totally go for it. I work PT, well actually whenever I choose to take a gig as a violinist with a local orchestra. I've also gotten an offer for a PT/on call position as a breastfeeding peer for WIC, and if that comes through I will take that as well. It helps me combat the "brain-turning-to-mush-wow-im-a-pathetic-boring-airhead" syndrome.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I was a FT SAHM for 18 mos, then I became a FT student in addition to being a SAHM. One of hte best decisions I've made. I wasn't gone too much, but I got out, to interact w/adults, learn things, find a new career (I've become a teacher). I knew I'd eventually have to return to the workplace, but even if you don't, an education is never a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I've kept working just about eight hours a week. I'm gonna have to stop that really soon (I just gave notice) because of the twins coming, but once they're here and nursing well, I think I might go take a class or two. I think getting out a few hours a week makes me a better mama. I have a chance to explore my interests and meet other adults, and when I come home again I have more patience. I think that if I were home all day with nothing like that, on any long-term basis, I might start to resent my home and kids, and that would be horrible.

I say that if you want to, go for it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Quote:

I feel it would make me a better mother what do you think?
Your answer is right in your post! I post on both SAHM and WOHM boards as I DO both. I currently WOHM for 3 days a week, but in six weeks it will be only one day a week! And I am keeping that one day as a nice way to keep a foot in the grownup world.

If I had your situation I would love to take a class or two instead of work, especially with grandparents to help you! That is a dream situation to me!

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
if it makes you happy, then do it. and, it doesn't have to be a college class--it could just be an edification class like taking yoga once or twice a week, a language class for fun, or something like this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think that it is important for a SAHM to have outside interests. It is hard to be a mom and taking that time for yourself will help you to refuel for your mommy duties. I say, "Go for it!"

J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts