Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always loved gardening (especially with herbs) but have put off doing so for so long because we rent and never stayed in one place for too long. Well I have begun digging in the glorious earth and making amazing gardens!!! I have done four small beds so far and am currently busy doing a huge bed with two flower smaller beds and a raised herb bed with paths and arches and rose quarts borders! Its so cool! I will post pics as soon as I can... Its just so damn addictive! I have used all narural and organic stuff and it looks great! I used sawdust for the paths and it looks and feels amazing!!! I just had to share this for some reason :LOL

·
Registered
321 Posts
A fellow addict here! I hear you! We just bought our home last spring and I spent all summer running around on projects like an obsessed, crazy lady! Anyway have already planned everything for when the snow leaves and my short list for this summer includes- building a patio and decorative fence, finishing bulb gardens planting more fruit trees, edging all gardens, expanding veggie garden, adding dirt and solarizing front gardens, planting the 5 rose bushes I've orderes, planning and building herb garden....and whatever else I can squeeze into summer!
Anyway, glad you shared and have fun!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
i have 12 cabbage plants a growin and 6 brussel sprouts! i also have onion/garlic sets to plant-if it ever stops raining.
I transplanted a bunch of herbs here from our old rental. It's much colder here so they are coping! I made a 'herb bed' with an 'antique' metal foot/head board.
The parsley is thriving and doesn't seem to mind the cold much.
I have a whole new appreciation for mums!

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh its just so amazing to see the plants growing! Its been so hot here - with hardly any rain and we have been under heavy water restrictions too. But we have been recycling all our water and our compost heap is looking gorgeous.... I also got two ducks so I should be getting eggs pretty soon too!!

I want to get my herb garden established soon and Im looking forward to getting my hands dirty while doing so! I just love it!!

Thanks for sharing with me!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
nak-ducks are great! we ended up trading ours for 2 rabbits when we moved here. the rabbits make such nice fertilizer! we had khaki campbell ducks. they are prolific layers-though they will bury/hide their eggs.
i divided a bunch of my herbs to give away. thats something i love about growing herbs. if they will establish-they will grow, thrive, take over! i love my run away herbs. the marjoram is a heavy creeper and so is thyme and they positively thrive in poor, dry soil. In fact, the poorer the soil the more potent they are.
I love feverfew herb too. It's so delicate but hardy.
We had a MAJOR storm here lastnight! We stayed up past midnight listening to the wind whip and rain fall. We were prepared to have the lights go out but they stayed!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi, again! We have 2 bunnies- great composting machines! I forgot to say that I will put a rose arch off my patio. I'm thinking of making my herb garden into a medicine wheel garden- anybody have a list of specific herbs for the dif directions?

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
myrrhmaid - I so know what you mean about thyme!! I have a whole lot outside my kitchen in a hug pot and its just going crazy!!! I love chives and wild garlic and mint and dill. I am planning on getting some sage, more rosemary (can you ever have enough rosemary???), basil and parsley... I also love corriander - the flowers are so good in salads!!!

terrarose - that book sounds awesome!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.