Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this, feel free to move it, but I'm an awful mother. I turned my back while dd was on the bed (7 mos) and she fell off. Landed directly on her head. Then, what's worse, she went to sleep. I called the doc and they said to wake her up, so now she's up. SHe's only napped 45 min all day, but I'm keeping her up. I feel so awful. She seems okay, I just feel like an awful, negligent mom.
:

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
dont worry, babys are stronger than you think, before we got a bedrail ds fell off the bed......hes fine, and im sure your dd is to.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
sorry, you dont to be an 'awful mom' today! Not on that one that's been done so many times by mistake it's unbeleivable!!! No kidding-- What you CAN do is let it go please because afterall you are a human mom. The babes are incredibly resiliant too. I bet she's fine and dandy.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The other day dh was all excited because ds2 has not fallen on his head as much as ds1 did. I told him to wait, ds2 is only 5 months old and has just started rolling over. My point is, it happens to everyone at some point. Babies are resilient. Their bones are malleable. They are built to withstand a little fall. I know it is heartbreaking when they get hurt and I know how easy it is to feel guilty, but don't be so hard on yourself. hugs to you and baby.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
My ds is 6 months old and has done this....he got a HUGE goose-egg but was otherwise fine. They are quick little things!!

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I've been there, many times. My DD was less than a month old the first time she fell off of the bed (wasn't hurt at all)

·
Registered
2,396 Posts

I'm sorry. If it makes you feel any better, the first time my son rolled, he rolled right off the couch and onto his head.
I felt so horrible. When I called my dad in tears he told me that DS would be fine, after all, I'd fallen onto my head plenty of times and turned out okay.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I tell my family this all the time "It's ok, babies are sturdy". They freak out about everything. It's not that I purposely put my child in danger, but I don't shield him from EVERYTHING.
Like the dogs. I make sure they're not in a jumping mood, and I try to not let them lick him in the face, but otherwise I just let them be. I'm glad DS hasn't fallen yet, but I know the time will come when he does.
And...
:
: I was once putting my boobs away after NIP after dinner, and he lost control of his little head and smacked it on the table.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by weeirishlass
Not sure where to post this, feel free to move it, but I'm an awful mother.
Oh, boy, I know how you feel.

Since ds2 has started crawling three weeks ago, he has fallen off of:

* our bed (3 x)
* the sofa (4 x)
* down two steps (1x)

dh, me and our au pair seperately were looking after him (sometimes two of us at the same time!) and he still gets into trouble.

This age is so hard - something he couldn't do yesterday he can today. Add on to that a 2 1/2 year old who is very distracting and who ds2 desperately wants to emulate...

So we put pillows on the floor everywhere and basically if we have to leave him for a second, I plop him on the floor instead of leaving him on the bed or sofa.

Of course, just a few minutes ago I found ds2 trying to stick a car key into an electric plug... argh, ds1 pulled out most of the plug blockers and chewed them up about a year ago.

{hugs} I know how you feel.

Siobhan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.