Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There. I said it. :bang

My worst time, (but not my only time), is in the evening--when it's a whirlwind of dinner, dishes, garbage take-out, dog-walking, kid-bathing, jammies, reading, prayers, excuses for kids to get out of bed . . . Raiding the kitchen at 11pm seems to provide some backward kind of relief.

Have any of you ever successfully conquered emotional eating? If so, how did you do it?

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last night, I read that if you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, you're probably not really hungry, and there's something else going on. That resonated with me. I don't eat a lot of apples unless they are local and in season. Apples from the supermarket, even organic apples, usually taste dull to me.

I'm going to read up on the principles of mindful eating. So far, I've been encouraging my children to sit down, chew their food deliberately, and even think about how yummy it tastes.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Was just writing about this in the weight loss thread!

I'm downloaded a hypnosis app last night that I hope will help. I've used the same one for sleep problems before and it definitely helped. I find it more like guided meditation, which is what I keep thinking I really need more than a diet approach.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only way I've been able to deal with this is to simply not keep the sugary foods that are my weakness in the house. If they're not here, I can't eat them. I may crave sugar, but it simply won't be around for me to have. So for me, the first step is in the grocery store--keep them out of the cart, and I'm quite a bit further toward breaking the cycle. That gets hard sometimes, though.

Also, sometimes, when my stress levels are really bad, I go for substitutes that have healthy elements like kefir or full-fat/cream-top yogurt (Liberte makes the BEST cream-top premium yogurt). At least then I'm mostly getting in protein along with a little fat, not much sugar, and some probiotics!

·
Registered
5 Posts
not buying sweets etc is the easiest way for me to deal with these things! when i'm happy i don't eat a lot but when i'm feeling bad.. :( but i bike a lot recently so it's kind of okay :)

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I MUST not snack! Even on a carrot. As soon as I eat the carrot I'm thinking, "We have popcorn...Oh, what about the ice cream..." So I only eat 3 meals a day. I eat till I'm full.

It is hard at times. But I try to stick to the "rule"

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
That's exactly how it works for me, too. My brain cannot accept "you can have one small snack." I've switched to 3 meals a day, and it's really satisfying to eat nice big meals. But I still tend to make excuses at night after the girls are in bed. Definitely a weak time of day for impulse control.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Last night, I read that if you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, you're probably not really hungry, and there's something else going on. That resonated with me. I don't eat a lot of apples unless they are local and in season. Apples from the supermarket, even organic apples, usually taste dull to me.

I'm going to read up on the principles of mindful eating. So far, I've been encouraging my children to sit down, chew their food deliberately, and even think about how yummy it tastes.
How is this going?

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Miserably. :lol But these are changes that don't happen over night. :thumb

Reactions: Nazsmum
1 - 11 of 11 Posts