Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday DH and I were out trying to fix our car (it died and now it won't start ugh). DH and my ex were working on it and I was watching. I suddenly felt very nauseas and felt like I had to go to the bathroom, then I got an incredibly strong contraction. I walked over to mcdonalds after the contraction ended and went to the bathroom. I ended up throwing up too. The contractions kept coming. I felt awful and was really hoping that labor was finally going to start. We went home and I had diarrhea really bad all evening and contractions that started out around 7 minutes apart and then jumped to 2 minutes apart for like 20 minutes. DH wanted to go to the hospital but I wanted to wait because I was afraid we would get there and the contractions would stop like they always seem to do. And of course, they started slowing down and eventually went away.<br><br>
I've been having DH check my cervix so I can make sure I'm not dilating, I want to make sure I make it to the hospital in time. Is it possible for your cervix to un-dilate? He said it was at a 3 the day before yesterday, then it went back to 2 cm and now he says it feels like 2.5 cm. I am so confused.<br><br>
I know I shouldn't be obsessing about dilation and stuff, but I am getting worried. I've had a few episodes like this where I get regular contractions for hours and then they just go away and nothing happens. Is it normal? This is #6 for me, but this will only be the second time I go into labor on my own and the last time my water broke first so I really don't know what to expect as far as contractions go. I'm just afraid that when I really do go into labor I will think it's nothing and then end up having the baby in the car because I couldn't make it to the hospital in time.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I wouldn't stress about it too much, and I'd skip the cervix checks because they don't mean much until you're REALLY in good hard labor. And spouses, unless they're OBs or some such, are probably not too well trained at gauging dilation! How far is the hospital? Unless it's more than 20 or 30 miles, I wouldn't worry about giving birth in the car. Anyway, it sounds like a classic case of prodromal labor, and I've always had prodromal labors like that (except for the barfing part). Prodromal stuff can stop and start for many nights or days, it's enough to drive you batty.<br><br>
And yes, it IS confusing. This time, I actually did make the 60 mile drive to the hospital, convinced I was gonna have the baby, only to have labor stop and I got sent home (2 CM dilated). Arrrgghhh. So I feel your pain! But try not to stress. Even if it is number 6, you'll probably have plenty of time to get there once you realize it's good active labor. Funny how that works. When my REAL labor finally started after five nights of prodromal labor, I waited SO long to go to the hospital that my legs were shaking by then and I was afraid I was in transition! (I was like 7 CM when I got there.) I watched John Belushi skits all the way up to LA at 2 AM in labor, laughing my ass off between contractions....anything for a distraction, and I was hoping it would slow things down! Do you have anything funny you can listen to during the car ride? I really found it helped reduce my stress level enormously.<br><br>
Good luck and I'm sure it will all turn out just perfect, timing-wise! Don't worry! You'll know what to do and when to do it! Do you have waterproof covering for the car seat, in case your water breaks during the drive? You mentioned that your water broke last time. I was like, the hell with the towels and stuff, just pop in the Belushi DVD and let's GO!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing that worries me the most is that the hospital is at least 30 minutes away if traffic is good. The fact that once I think it's time to go, it will take 5-10 minutes to call the midwife and hospital and get the kids ready to go will just take up more time. My last labor started with my water breaking, I immediately went to the hospital and he was born an hour later. I wasn't even having contractions until after I got to the hospital so he came really, really fast and I worry that this one will too once true labor starts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts