Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to wash my diapers today and they were smellier than normal...very stinky.
Then, I did my normal wash and dry routine. I just got them out of the dryer and two of my SOS hemp, and one fitted with fleece are smelly...ammonia smelly.

I thought it was weird because most of my diapers are hemp, and I had other SOS in the same load and they don't smell.

My worst fear is "the smelly hemp diaper!!!"
: What do I do? I have never had any of my diapers be smelly before. I use All Free and Clear and I do a long wash on cold with a second rinse, then long hot wash with a second rinse.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I've read to never use any All product... that it leaves a build up or something. I was told to only use Tide... dry soap.. not liquid (again, I don't know why... it's just what I was told to do by a CD mama and therefore i followed
)

I'm probably no help
:

ETA: I do a short wash in cold with baking soda and then a long wash with soap on hot with an extra rinse. I haven't had a stinky one yet.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Try some baking soda (about 1/2 cup) and then put some vinegar in a Downy Ball. Both of these worked wonders w/my really smelly dipes!!!

Edited to re-word my post.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks mamas! I am thinking I will try Era, there are lots of Tide allergies in my family and I heard that it is really harsh on fabrics. How do I strip my diapers?

ETA: do I add the baking soda to the rinse or the wash with the detergent?

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutie Patootie
ETA: do I add the baking soda to the rinse or the wash with the detergent?
I can't really help w/the stripping part, but I add the soda in w/the detergent.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I use the cheapest powder -old fashioned purex-and NEVER have had a stinky dipe-not in nearly 2 years

Personally, I HATE the internal soakers though-you never know what is growing in there.....................
Shan

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I've been using All F&C for most of the last 3 years. I have the same routine that you have. I never had smelly hemp diapers until I started using Diaper Buddies. While they worked great in the pail keeping down odors... within a week of using them... all our hemp STANK!! And I mean STANK!!
We never had that happen before. Guess it was a PH change or something. I did a couple of rinse cycles to see if I had suds (nope) and then started putting a cup of vinegar in with the last rinse cycle. That seems to have taken care of the problem. I dropped the vinegar from the rountine but use it about "once a week" since we wash about every 2 days. No stinky diapers since. Unless I go for too long and try to wash too many diapers at the same time. :LOL

I would only add or change one thing in your laundry routine at a time. Then see if it makes a difference, if not change one more thing. You need to keep your variables down or else you'll never figure out the problem. Too many people totally change their wash routine and may not figure out what was actually causing the problem but now have a complex routine that "seems" to work but might not need all of the things in it. YKWIM? I'm big on keeping it simple.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Baking soda seems to cause me problems too. I think it probably has to do with your water chemistry, although Melbourne reputedly has the best water in the world. But every time I used it we had smelly diapers and repelling fleece.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Strip, baby, strip! Run a few hot water rinses with nothing in there. Some say baking soda or vinegar. These might work too. If you get a lot of suds, there is build up. Run the cycles until there are no suds. Build up and hemp equal very smelly, smelly diaper. Another mama on a CD board actually quit because of the smell. And then sold her dipes off only to find out they all had serious build up.
Sometimes some TTO or Eucalyptus does the trick for us. And a little sun love never hurt either

Oh and I think anything "Free and Clear" is not good. Tide, Purex, something along these lines. I use SW and Eucalytus mainly and we have had no issues yet....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts