Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So not to toot my horn or anything but I haven't been sick in ages so I kind of forget how crappy you can feel (plus I'm exhausted from pregnancy and working past full time) so this is not cool. Anyway, my ob said lozenges are ok but left it at that. I bought the organic honey ones and halls naturals but noticed they have some ingredients to be avoided in pregnancy (eucalyptus and lemon grass)
So here I am suffering until I get up the energy to go to the store and get others...
I've already upped my SA intake but that is all I have here. I sort of refuse to take any medicine unless I'm dying and I'm not too fond of lozenges to begin with.
There is an old remedy that works when I'm awake (broth with a decent amount of pepper every 2 hrs) and that works until it wears off.
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
543 Posts
me too..

Maybe a vaporizer with some eucalyptus essential oil? I guess tea is obvious...
I'll let you know if I come up with something that works!
Feel better!

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
Teaspoons of honey, warm honey fruit tea, and homemade soups. These all helped my sore throat lately.

If it develops into a sinus thing, a sinus rinse/neti pot type thing will help shorten how long you have it and aid in quick healing.

I hope you feel better soon. There's stuff going around and we're having round #2 in the house right now.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've been so sick all week! I went to urgent care this morning. I thought I had pink eye, which we thought Ds had for a week now and we were treating with ointment. Turns out this nasty virus just causes pink eye like symptoms. I also had two throat cultures, because there are white patches in the back of my throat and Ds woke crying because he had a sore throat, but they were both negative. I have a horrible cough now, and I am miserable. Tea and lemon and honey don't hardly do a thing. My eye is red and swollen and oozing, and was pasted shut this morning - attractive huh
I was sucking on hard candy because they work the same as cough drops, but I ran out. I need to get more tomorrow. So, I'm just miserable and it just keeps getting worse. There is some bad stuff going around, but at least this is just a cold and not a flu, I guess that's the only bright side I can see. Hope we all feel better soon.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been swallowing garlic.. not whole cloves but cut small enough to go down the hatch. I bought some honey and I've been using that to take my vit C. I also eliminated most acidic things in my diet and went real basic until I get better. I also made a tomato/olive oil/fresh basil and onion pasta... once it was done, I used my press to add fresh garlic all over with some pepper. That cleared up my sinuses right away! I've also been doing warm organic veggie broth throughout the day because I can't stand the taste of tea. I also have a warm mist humidifier to use at night and that helped soooooooo much. All this seems to be working so I'll continue on this path.. good luck ladies- feel better!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ugh. Feeling crappy has turned into horrible cold/flu or something viral... My whole head hurts - I know dw wants to do something for VDay tonight, but I'm so not up to it... Hope we all feel better soon!!!

??? Can I use an essential oil in the med. cup of a vaporizer/warm mist humidifier instead of the Vicks stuff???

·
Registered
226 Posts
How about the standard immune boosting stuff that is safe for pregnancy:

Acidophilus (or mixed probiotics), the kind that require refrigeration, 4 billion cells

Garlic, deodorized capsules, 500-600 mgs per day

Vitamin C, 500 mgs with Bioflavinoids, 200 mgs, can be purchased together or separate

Propolis, a.k.a. bee pollen, 1 capsule/tablet

Grapefruit seed extract, 15 drops, preferably with OJ because it is bitter by itself!

·
Registered
183 Posts
If it's sinus related, last week when I was so stuffed up I couldn't breathe, I just put my head over a bowl of steaming hot water and that really worked wonders... Too bad it's not that helpful for the stomach bug that I have *this* week. Bah. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.