Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a soon to be mommy and i keep having horible imges go threw my mind like the worse thing that could happen to me or my family and my un born son. Is this noram? If so is there any thing I can do I make it stop.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Moving this to Pregnancy . . .

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I have 2 thoughts:

1) There are lots of messages/images in the media of birth that are out of touch reality that are there because they get good ratings. Don't watch those shows on cable about birth. Maternity Ward is the worst.

2) Read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Your local public library might have it. It is very positive and I think will help you feel better. I found that the more I learned about birth, the less freaked out I was by it.

Congratulations!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
honey, i STILL get horrible thoughts 4 months postpartum... i see a therapist, and i also pray and tell God I'm giving up these thoughts to Him and ask Him to fill my mind with good thoughts. There is a verse, Philippians 4:8 'Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.'
trust me, if you know God, this works

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
I do that far too often myself. It drives me crazy sometimes. I worry, I'm paranoid, I have horrific nightmares sometimes. My kids are 7 & 13 & I STILL freak out & worry about the worst case scenario. I think partially it's just natural & comes with being a parent. You want to absolutely protect your kid all the time. I'm sure my worrying & nightmares will never ever go away. But I do try to focus on something else! That's really all that has worked for me. If I find myself getting lost in thought about something horrible happening to one of my kids, I'll *force* myself to think about something else, something as interesting as I can manage so that my mind will stay better focused. Like, I recently kept thinking about a terrible nightmare I had about my son dying, so instead I kept forcing myself to think about what it will be like when I go into labor, where will I be? How much will we cry when it comes out? Things that are exciting & take my brain away from the horrific stuff.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I had alot of panic feelings too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to some other friends of mine who have had kids and a couple that are pregnet and they all say its normal its your hormons, and all the blod you are producing for the baby that is causing me to have night mares and other very strang dreams. they said it will pass after shortly after birth

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by micahsmum210
honey, i STILL get horrible thoughts 4 months postpartum... i see a therapist, and i also pray and tell God I'm giving up these thoughts to Him and ask Him to fill my mind with good thoughts. There is a verse, Philippians 4:8 'Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.'
trust me, if you know God, this works
I agree with this

Also, it does have alot to do with the physical changes your body is going through, but~~~~~~birth/pregnancy is an extremelely spiritual experience. A new life is being born into the world. It is completely normal what you are feeling. Just don't let it get the best of you
Think instead of the good things that could happen. Be protective and use caution and let your instinct/intuition guide you in that, but try to stay positive.
I can totally relate. I still have "worst-case- scenario thinking "at times!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Yes, it is very normal, as you can see from the other posters. Whenever I start to worry too much, about things out of my control, I use self talk to reel myself in. I'll just say something simple to myself, like "You have no control over this. Stop thinking about it." Then I consciously try to think of other, positive thoughts.
It works for me.

If you find that you cannot stop these thoughts and they are consuming you, I'd get help.

s Being newly pg can be scary. There is so much to worry about. We are here for you if you need us.

PS, check out my "gratitude thread" in TAO for a way to switch the focus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts