Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok not really, but I sure as hell feel like it. It's really not all DS's fault but I feel sooooo drained! I'm really tired - he's decided to nurse from 3:30 am till about 5 and then starting again around 6am till about 7am or 8. I'm feeling so drained. He wakes up, wants to play...but I don't want to. He wants to go out...and I don't want to. I'm too sleepy and tired to run around.
I feel so bad for him. I don't know if I should consider nightweaning (he's 18mo). Today I contacted someone about coming to clean my house at least once a week and I'm going to try to find a mother's helper or something. I'm really just going nuts
:
I feel bad because when I'm energized, he's in a great mood. But when I get like this he's cranky all day and it sucks any little life I have in me. A vicious cycle. Right now, I'm spending my break time (i.e. his nap time) nursing him because if I take him off he wakes up..... if there was a screaming emoticon I'd place it right here.
Think I'm just venting...feel free to comment if you have any ideas though

·
Banned
972 Posts
You sound like you reaaaally need a break, mama. Give yourself permission to do one or two things you need to do to keep yourself together. You can't help your ds as best he needs if you're running out of oxygen, kwim?

Faith

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just remeber this is a short stage. You will be ok. I remember that time. I had to get a gym membership and that way my dh would not want me to waste it and he watched my ds for a while each evening. It was good for that time. Now it has become a habit. Do something for yourself and it will pass.

Jennifer

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, it's been going on for about two months now. He used to wake up 4,5 times a night and nurse for about 45 min each time (that went on for about 6months) then he stopped and was only getting up once (those days were GREAT!). But all of a sudden he started nursing all night again. On top of which he started nursing like crazy during the day. I thought it was just cuz of his teething but it never stopped after that.

I do need to get out a bit alone. I've been at my mom's this week but planned to talk to DH when I go home to come up with a plan. I want to be a good mommy again! I treat mothering like such a chore these days...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Please give yourself permission to do whatever you need to do to bring joy back to your mothering again. I got to where I had to nightwean DD at about 21/22 months because I just could not take it anymore. It was an easier transition than I expected. It seriously changed my life. It had gotten to where DD would be latched on, I kid you not, ALL night long. Every night.

Best of luck, and factor your own sanity into any decision you make.

Erin

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If you want to runaway, you can come over and hang out here at my place. My DH deployed to Iraq again and it's just me and my son. We'll make you a coffee and sit down to chat. Then our kids can run like banchees across the room and make us laugh.

I am sorry you are having a tough time. This too shall pass. Promise

PS -- Read the funny toddlers thread in this forum. It'll cheer you up. DId for me.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardinal
If you want to runaway, you can come over and hang out here at my place. My DH deployed to Iraq again and it's just me and my son. We'll make you a coffee and sit down to chat. Then our kids can run like banchees across the room and make us laugh.

I am sorry you are having a tough time. This too shall pass. Promise

PS -- Read the funny toddlers thread in this forum. It'll cheer you up. DId for me.

You know, that actually sounds tempting. I moved from NY to CT (I lived in NY my whole life) and I haven't had much time to find any friends - which I think is compounding my problem. I know it'll pass, I just feel so much better to vent and have such supportive mamas like all of you tell me it's ok

Pastrydemon, I think you are right. I think I've been putting myself on the backburner too much. I'll have to figure something out, if not complete nightweaning, maybe at least DH taking him for part of the night. I think part of the reason he's cranky in the morning is because HE'S not sleeping properly too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think I nightweaned around after 18 months, but in a similar situation--suddenly I just couldn't do it at night anymore. I talked to my DD about having "some" when the sunshine was up and prepared myself for a rough night. Honestly, the first night was the toughest, but after that it subsided and finally no waking up for "some"! However, it does seem that you are nursing more at night (or perhaps there is teething going on?), as by that point I was down to 1 nursing session at night. My DD is now 2 and we still do night time and morning nursing, and it works well.

Or, if you aren't ready for that you really have to put yourself first. My DH was usually the first to force me to take a break, as if I was grumpy he would know!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
No advice - just hugs, and know that I am right there with ya! (except for the having just moved thing - which is a big, stressful life change in and of itself . . . !!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.