Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope it works. I've tried everything under the sun and so far nothing. Luckily the restaurant is right down the street from me so I'm off to try their famous eggplant parm. I hate eggplant, but I'm willing to try it for this.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
This is the info I just came across when I searched eggplant parm & labor on google.

Quote:
The funny part is, it may just be that the dish causes the women to go into labor, but it's not the eggplant. The herbs Oregano and Basil have properties that may cause contractions, though it is not yet known how or in what quantities. This is why, in aromatherapy circles, these herbs and essential oils are to be avoided whenever possible during pregnancy.
If you really hate eggplant parm, maybe you could find other ways to expose yourself to oregano & basil ...
There are other labor-stimulating ideas in the article:

http://www.maternitycorner.com/mcmag.../preg0007.html

I would be careful about black & blue cohosh, because I recently learned that black & blue cohosh may affect baby's heart rate. I took those tinctures last time I was pregnant (2 weeks+ past EDD in the end) and my dd's heart rate caused my MW enough concern to induce me with castor oil ... Her cord was also around her neck so it is unclear what caused the heart rate issues. THe day I went into labor dd's heart rate was normal, and she tolerated labor well. Dd has been healthy since birth - still, I'm avoiding the black & blue this time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I've been taking those tinctures.

I was thinking the same thing about the basil and oregano. I was thinking I might get the chicken parmesan instead.
)

I'm just too paranoid to do the castor oil. I am already gbs+ and the thought of meconium scares me. One less thing.
Did it work for you though? How much did you take and how long did it take to work?

·
Registered
965 Posts
You have a chance to go to the famous Scalini's for their famous labor-inducing meal!
that's awesome.
Maybe you can get on their wall of fame. . .

http://www.scalinis.com/Bambino.htm

but I have to admit, I'm excited for you not only b/c it's famous but also b/c I LOVE eggplant parm. My first baby was born at 38 weeks less than a week after eating Eggplant Parm (I didn't do it on purpose though)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I wouldn't recommend castor oil, personally. I may have taken more than is usually given, as I took it twice. (The first time I think most of it came back up, though). I wound up with severe diarhea over the course of a few hours and that does not mix well with hemorrhoids (Sorry, TMI...).

I did go into labor around 5 AM and had my second dd in my arms by 9:30. I'd never have done it if her heart rate had been normal, though. There was luckily no meconium issue for us.
Inflamed hemorrhoids are not a post-partum Mama's best friend. Between that and the more intense post-partum contractions that come with 2nd + births, I was pretty miserable for the first week or two post-partum.

All of that said, I would use it again as a last resort if I have reason to be concerned for my little one's health. I would start with the smallest possible dose, though ...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope to be on that wall. It's on the right hand side the minute you walk in the door. I grew up eating at this restaurant. So funny how famous it has become. I've heard about the pizza as well. We're going at 730, so maybe it'll help baby come by tomorrow.
I'm not going to try the castor oil. I'd rather my mw break my water next week and go into labor that way than the castor oil. I likely won't need pitocin or anything else.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Sweet! I heard about that place. That is so cool you get to go there. I thought I also heard that if it doesn't work you get a free or discounted meal next time you are there or something like that...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
******, you must be super close to me! I'm in Smyrna. We should get together with our babies sometime.

Not too far. I am familiar with Smyrna/Austell. My friend is a cop over there.
)

Im in downtown Roswell and grew up in Marietta/East Cobb. I was born at Kennestone though. Are you delivering there? They have done so much with that hospital. It looks really nice.
I went to the Scalini's on Johnson Ferry Rd. I did see they have one in Smyrna. I think off of 41, right?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
so did you get a free meal then or something since it didn't work?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.