Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With my DD, I had prenatal care at a birth center staffed by CNMs. As part if their routine care, I had a biophysical profile and non-stress test at 41 weeks. Everything was great, except but the NST was non-reactive. DD wasn't moving, so I risked out and was induced, and transferred to a hospital.

I wanted to go to a hospital that has the lowest CS rate in the country, but they weren't accepting outside inductions that day. They were full. I had to go to my 2nd choice hospital, but still birthed vaginally.

So, I am torn b/t birthing at my first choice hospital, so that I won't be stuck at a less than ideal hospital if I need to birth in one, or try for the birth center again. I really don't like the birth center's official backup hospital. My ideal hospital is 20 minutes from the birth center, but that wouldn't be an option in some circumstances. I'm not interested in a home-birth. The birth center was really disorganized, I hated their classes, and the turnover was bad. But, it still is a birth center. It doesn't smell like a hospital. And I can be home with my DD 4 hours after delivery. I am so worried about leaving her for 24-48 hours, while I am in the hospital, or making her stay in the hospital with me.

The hospital has a great CNM practice, staffed mostly by birth center CNMs who jumped ship, and two former home-birth CNMs. The hospital practice has a c-section rate that is comparable to home-birth practices, and is lower than the birth center. It is a county hospital (Denver Health). They have really big tubs in both the birth center and hospital. Both options allow free movement, free eating, and intermittent monitoring.

I'm just so torn. My husband is voting for the hospital, because he knows how upset I was about the transfer with DD.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tough call. It sounds like the hospital has more pros overall. Do you have any close friends/relatives that could bring your daughter up to spend lots of time while you are there? Maybe spend lots of time this pregnancy getting her really comfortable with the people that she will be with during your birth/hospital stay?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I looked at your past posts, and you said your DD is 20 months now and will be 27 months by the time you have your baby. That can actually be a pretty big difference in terms of how well she can understand and tolerate a prepared-for separation. So, if it's any help, I suspect she'll cope significantly better with a day away from you at 27 months than she would do now.

Your description of the birth centre is ringing alarm bells with me. If it gave you bad vibes, listen to those bad vibes. Sounds as though there's more chance of something going wrong there - and that could mean an even longer separation from your daughter (plus, of course, a situation where that might be the least of your worries). Even if everything goes OK, I wonder how comfortable you'd feel while giving birth there if it's a place you're not really happy with.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have my mom available to watch my DD, at least during labor. I would have to send hubby home to take care of her a few hours after the birth, but I hope she will become more independent, as good enough mom said.

Does anyone know a good way to mask the hospital smell during labor?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I vote for the hospital. To mask the smell, maybe an essential oil diffuser? I've heard lavender is calming but probably whatever smell you like would work.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I vote hospital. I wouldn't want to birth at a birth center like that. I read the reviews at the nearest birth center to me, and most were positive, except for the few that weren't. I honestly trust bad reviews more than good ones, when I'm deciding on something, so I decided against my closest birth center. It sounds like your birth center is a disorganized mess, and that's no place for a laboring mama to be at. I'd go for the hospital. It sounds like you'll be able to labor in a nice tub, and have a hassle free natural birth.

Reactions: fayebond

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Also vote hospital, maybe ask around with the different doctors on staff and see if you find one who would sign off on you going home sooner than 24 hrs if all was well. Or look into midwives who work with the hospital, or you could consider co care or something like that. The first consult with midwives is free so if there is one with your hospital, try getting an appointment. Take the tour a couple times and introduce yourself to the staff afterwards, ask them about their practice and if your desire to go home early is within the realm of possibility. Do you know a pediatrician to sign off on baby for early release, assuming, again, all goes normal? It sounds like you want a natural birth, so a doula might be a wise investment. A doula who has done births at this hospital before, ideally, so she can give you ideas too.

My experience was, I had a cesarean with my first (side note, that's a horrible way to give birth), and was told a minimum of 72 hours stay was mandatory. I went home after about 26 hours. This is because my ob and pedi agreed that I didn't need to stay and be monitored. I had family coming to help, and my husband was staying home for a week to be able to drive me back for check ups. I made sure to relate that to the staff, so they understood I would be taken care of. You might have to tag team the staff a bit on leaving early if it's that important to you, ask several times what needs to be done before you leave, and get on each next step promptly. I got a lovely nurse one shift who wrote down the discharge steps for me and I worked to get it all done before the less happy staff came back on shift. Lastly, your dd sounds like she will be plenty old enough to understand and be ok with some separation, and, you might find you don't want to move much for the first day anyway. All of which seems like less hassle than the birth center and it's transfer policy. Go do some research, you have lots of time and can swap appointments between providers easily, especially this early in the game.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Ps about the smell, bring a variety of oils, eom coconut, etc, and try dabbing one on a lightbulb. Then if you don't like it you can change it, but if it's on your skin it's a harder swap

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hospital. Even a low risk pregnancy does not ensure that labor and delivery will go smoothly or without major complication. Been there, done that already. I also want to make sure I am somewhere bubs or myself can get immediate care if needed (NICU, etc). Not worth the risk to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts