Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its not working for me and IM not sure why. I origanilly had a smaller pail that was overflowing after a day and a half so I went and finally bought a big kitchen flip top pail and Im still washing the same every 2 days BUT the pail stinks of the strongest amonia pee smell that when I open it I could pass out. Ive tried baking soda at the bottom, pail buddies things taped to the lid(like 4 of them) Ive tried pouring some EOs in there too. What else can I do?

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
A bigger pail has more air, so it allows the bacteria to grow better and make things smell. Try pushing the diapers down to the bottom as you put them in so they are more compact and have less air between them.

I have recently gotten a bigger stash so I have two small pails. I traded my Sterilite trash can for two 5 gallon buckets that formally held CostCo kitty litter. (It even says Advanced Odor Control on the side :LOL )The lids make a perfect seal. I also rinse amost all pee diapers out with the minishower, especially the night time ones. It makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
610 Posts
What solved it for me was removing the lid entirely. I've started sprinkling some baking soda at the end of the first day now that the weather's hot (I wash every other day). No stink!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAmma
A bigger pail has more air, so it allows the bacteria to grow better and make things smell. Try pushing the diapers down to the bottom as you put them in so they are more compact and have less air between them.

I have recently gotten a bigger stash so I have two small pails. I traded my Sterilite trash can for two 5 gallon buckets that formally held CostCo kitty litter. (It even says Advanced Odor Control on the side :LOL )The lids make a perfect seal. I also rinse amost all pee diapers out with the minishower, especially the night time ones. It makes a huge difference.
I use two five gallon buckets too. It works great! Mine are from laundry detergent. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts