Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just was introduced to needle felting by a friend. She had made the most gorgeous little people and gnomes.

I went out and bought a bunch of roving and some needles and now I am hooked!! I'm not very good at it and need some good 'how-to' books to help get a more finished look and patterns/ideas. Mine still seem to be a bit fuzzy-looking when I'm done.

I've looked at "More Magic Wool" but it's not a needle felting book.

Anyone else out there love this craft like I do?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I do...but I'm not very good at it either.

I made my first figure (Mother Earth for our nature table) the other week - she's in my blog if you'd like to peek. I have the fuzzy issue as well.

I'd love to know how to add detail to things without stabbing my fingers.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I've been wondering this for a while--how does one needle felt?
All the objects I've seen needlefelted are so earthy and pretty, but I've never actually heard "how" you do it! Do tell if you have a minute!

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I love the look, but I'm really bad. I just made some apples, though- take a twig with some apple leaves still on, wrap the wool around and start stabbing. Then soak each half in red and green koolaid and stick the whole thing in the microwave

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
needle felting is the easiest craft ever! Just take a wad of wool and start stabbing and shaping with your imagination! It takes a bit to get used to the needles so you dont poke yourself, but everyone gets poked at some point.
I dont think there are many patterns out there. I've never got into to finding books for it either. A friend showed me last winter how to do it and I'm already selling felted food sets.

For starters, decide what you want to make; food, figure, animal....
Then think of the shape of it in your head. So and apple would be a ball shape and maybe a stem and leaf shape. So make a ball, then cover it with the colors you want, then think of the stem as a cylinder. rolll the wool in your hand like making snakes out of clay or bread, then start jabbing. a leaf you would lay flat and keep flipping and shaping it into a leaf.

For a figure, do the snake rolling thing for all the limbs and trunk, then a ball for the head. Felt all the pieces together by jabbing the felting needle around the seams so its good and stuck on, then cover with clothes and details like hair, etc.

I hope that helps. I'm the kind of person who just jumps in and does it, but I know some folks work well with plans with everything laid out for them. I hope you find what your looking for, but until then, just keep trying stuff, keep playing with it; thats the best way to figure it out.

·
Registered
392 Posts
oooohh... I've been drooling over needle felting for the last, well, long time.
I finally ordered the supplies the other day and I have been watching our mailbox like a crazy lady!

It looks so fun and I just can't wait to start!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.