Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used an herbal semi-permanant hair dye twice. The first time was for 10 minutes which is the minimum time. It did not cover my grey. I have a 5yo who was freaking out that Mommy was getting old and going to die of old age any day, so that's why I colored it in the first place. The second month I left it in for 20 minutes and it covered the grey but my scalp was pink and itchy for a couple of days. Now 1.5 weeks later my hair is much thinner. It's falling out by the roots and it's all over my pillow, the counter after I brush, and my clothes. It's very thin.
It even feels cooler on my scalp. I am probably going to just get it cut short (I like short, no biggie) but my question is, is it going to keep falling out or will it eventually grow back? What can I do right now to stop it from falling out more?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Hair actually falls out more in early spring and late summer, so it may be normal that your hair is going through changes. Also, if you're pre-menopausal, you may be losing hair (depends on your age). Hormones, diet, stress, the seasons, all kinds of thing contribute to hair loss.

Check out the strands of hair that are falling out. Is it broken strands or do you see the root tip (like a white bulb on the end where the hair starts to grow)?

If it's broken strands, then it's damage to hair from chemicals, heat, or general hair abuse. If it's falling out from the root, it could be seasonal, stress, dietary changes/crash dieting, or hormonal.

You can take B-Complex, vitamin E, and zinc to restore your hair and feel better in general too. All of those vitamins help with proper hormone and nerve function. Dark leafy greens that are full of iron also help (as do legumes/beans, and lean meats). Eating nuts and fish like salmon or tuna is great too.

Doing scalp scrubs (see sticky for proper scalp scrub techniques) stimulates hair growth too. Lavender, Tea tree oil, rosemary essential oils and coconut and amla oils all promote hair growth.

Take caution with rosemary oil - do not take if you have seizures, are pregnant or nursing, or have a tendency toward high blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure, you can just use a drop or two, but don't overdo it.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! They have roots. Hmm. . . so maybe I'm just shedding?
I was majorly stressed out about 2 weeks ago, the same time I dyed my hair. My scalp is itchy. I have a scalp condition that's related to eczema (reaction to natural yeast on the skin) but I'm usually able to keep it under control with a special shampoo. Well hopefully this will stop soon.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Yes, I forgot to add that yeast actually makes your scalp "spit out" your hair, lol. I had that problem and the only cure my dermatologist said was to shampoo everyday, and use Nizoral sometimes.

Actually, apple cider vinegar and baking soda helps with eczema and yeast issues. I haven't had any problems with the itchy yeasty stuff since I started no-poo. My body is yeasty too, and it's gone down, if not completely gone, with using baking soda for scrubbing my arms and places that get yeast bumps. I no longer have mad itching on my scalp at the end of the day and I don't use any special shampoos anymore.

You can let a solution of baking soda and water (watery) sit on your scalp for as long as you can stand it. This will kill yeast and then you can scrub any flakes and plaques off. Apple cider vinegar will restore the pH and continue to kill yeast. You can soak your head and scalp with apple cider vinegar from time to time to kill off the yeast. Apple cider vinegar has lots of different chemical compounds that make it hard for yeast and fungus to become resistant to it.

The Nizoral and other shampoos seem to work for a while and then your scalp gets immune to them (probably gets resistant to the fungicide).

My boyfriend has horrendous sebhorreic dermatitis and itching and the apple cider vinegar has been helping him tremendously. It even gets rid of the itchy peeling stuff behind his ears, around his nose, and hairline. For the strongest effect, use full strength apple cider vinegar. If you are sensitive, dilute it with water some.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow thanks! I get the stuff behind my ears and around my nose, too. I had a bad outbreak of it last week so I'll be that's why I'm losing the hair. I'll have to get some apple cider vinegar next time I'm shopping. I tried white vinegar once but it just made my scalp burn b/c I had open sores at the time. I'll be the stress and hair dye set off the yeast. Won't be dying my hair again! It's also been very humid here lately with the monsoon.

BTW when I was in India last time I had a horrible, awful yeast outbreak. I think from the stress, poor diet (msot of the food was too spicy so I lived on toast, eggs, and yogurt), and humidity. What cured me was to get my head shaved. I literally had it shaved with a straight edge razor by a skilled barber and OMG it was awesome! The flakes and stuff were nasty but within a few days it was all gone. It didn't come back for a long time and has never been quite that bad since. We are going again in the winter but I don't want to go to that extreme unless it becomes intolerable again.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Wow, looks like you have it bad!

Taking apple cider vinegar (2 teaspoons a day or take capsules) will also help with internal yeast problems. So does Acidophilus capsules (the same wonderful 'good bacteria' in yogurt).

As mentioned, vinegar helps your hair and scalp, but yes, if you have open sores, it may sting at first. Use a diluted solution and work your way up with less water each time. When the sores heal, it won't sting at all. Use a cotton ball of the apple cider vinegar to treat your nose and back of ears.

You may want to do some research on Candida and 'Anti-Candida' diets.

I also used to get bad yeasties from being allergic to different things: laundry detergent, fabric softener, certain foods, etc. I now buy things that are hypoallergenic, dye free, perfume free most of the time. I also use gloves when cleaning, or else I get contact dermatitis (yeast based fungal infections) on my hands. They look bumpy and itch!

Have you had an allergy test done?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAmma
Wow thanks! I get the stuff behind my ears and around my nose, too. I had a bad outbreak of it last week so I'll be that's why I'm losing the hair. I'll have to get some apple cider vinegar next time I'm shopping. I tried white vinegar once but it just made my scalp burn b/c I had open sores at the time. I'll be the stress and hair dye set off the yeast. Won't be dying my hair again! It's also been very humid here lately with the monsoon.

BTW when I was in India last time I had a horrible, awful yeast outbreak. I think from the stress, poor diet (msot of the food was too spicy so I lived on toast, eggs, and yogurt), and humidity. What cured me was to get my head shaved. I literally had it shaved with a straight edge razor by a skilled barber and OMG it was awesome! The flakes and stuff were nasty but within a few days it was all gone. It didn't come back for a long time and has never been quite that bad since. We are going again in the winter but I don't want to go to that extreme unless it becomes intolerable again.

I saw pics when of when you shaved your head. I think it looked great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.