Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The baby's room. She will pretty much only use the crib we haven't bought yet for naps, but I really, really want a nursery. At first I wanted to be practical and just use a playpen and co-sleeper, but...I was practical with my wedding, and eloped, having just a simple reception that ended up a disaster because of a cake mishap. Sometimes when I see other people's wedding pictures I feel really sad that I didn't have the big wedding in the white dress...even though it would have been impossible considering we didn't have the money for one and I was already pregnant and didn't know it when we got married. Any way, that's why I feel like the baby nursery is a big deal...it's something you always assume you'll do when you have a baby...and I think I'll regret it later if I don't. Especially because this may be our only child, or one of two children, and if the next is a boy, I can't do a frilly pink nursery!!

So here's my dilemma: I can't settle on a theme. I've been crazy about several different bedding sets so far, but I'm never 'sure' about them. I even bought one, new but off of Craigslist, for half price a few weeks ago...but I'm just not sure it is what I want! It's pink and brown and sooo beautiful (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg) but I also really love the idea of a lime green and pink room with a less girly, more cutesy theme. It seems so FINAL to pick a theme, and paint the room...but our painting party is a week from this Saturday, so we have to hurry up and choose.

Anyone else feel like choosing a nursery theme is the equivalent of choosing your child's future college or spouse?

·
Registered
668 Posts
It was a little easier for us because the twins are sharing a nursery. We went with a color called Calming on the walls (Behr color). The bedding is the Carters jungle babies (Walmart). Fairly cheap and very neutral.. I think that a nice lime green would be nice with maybe some bubbles or other designs on the walls fit for either gender. If the next one is a boy bedding can be changed easily.. For some more ideas try HGTV.com.. Good luck

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I went round and round with the idea of a nursery because I am always way too practical. I figured the baby would be in my room and soon after he is born, DH will probably deploy so that means that the baby will be with me even longer in my room etc. but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted one. I have two older sons at home and I NEVER got the nursery with them. I didn't do anything fun to prepare to be a mom, this time I want it all.

I posted the pictures of the nursery and we are going with a sports theme. I figure if I am going to do it, I want something that will last atleast through all the toddler years so I didn't want the really cute, but babish stuff.

I think that pink and brown is REALLY cute, and could last for a long time.

Although now that I see musiclady's stuff, I want monkey's LOL but sports will have to do, DH won that one.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I really like the pink and brown too. If you have a boy later, you can always repaint!

I have my bedding, but I'm still having trouble deciding on the wall colours.

I'm probably making too big a deal of it too, as I expect the baby to be in our room for quite awhile. But.. we need somewhere for baby stuff anyways, and it seems to me that setting up the nursery is sort of a symbol of making room in our family for another person. I just hope we can get everything done in time!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by phrogger View Post

Although now that I see musiclady's stuff, I want monkey's LOL but sports will have to do, DH won that one.
Wait, there were pictures? I saw the thread but I think I missed the pictures. I want to see monkeys!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
Wait, there were pictures? I saw the thread but I think I missed the pictures. I want to see monkeys!
I will look for her thread, but it was the one with her quilt. That is all I have seen, but the monkey's on the quilt is so stinking cute, it makes me want a monkey room.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I was the same way with my DS's nursery. We painted stripes on the walls, my parents bought a new crib, bedding, all accessories, etc... The room was an airplane theme, and down to every detail (airplane knobs we put on the dresser, etc.) was adorable.

DS never slept in there once, and it became just a big closet where I stored his stuff. lol

I don't regret doing it though, it was fun and kept me busy during the pregnancy. As long as you're enjoying the process, then more power to you! But don't stress too much about it. In the end, it's just a room

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
i like the pink and brown!!! I think it's great. Not too awfully girly, but still girly. And you can do all sorts of things with those colors. If you want a hint of green, get some silk flowers and make some arrangements- Walmart has some cute little potted daisies for $5.00. Some were pink, but some were lime green.... lOVED IT!

the link to the monkey quilt is:
http://lrowsey.shutterfly.com/

Thanks for the compliments on the quilt. We're using the "Pop Monkey" bedding from BRU http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3350189

It's cute. Just bought the paint today- three shades of green and on one wall we'll do stripes. So... this week is nursery week. Maybe I can get some pictures posted on my little shutterfly website.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hit submit too soon-----

I'd say GO FOR IT with your nursery. It's perfectly fine to go all out with this. A baby is a big deal. Especially if you've felt like going the practical route in other things, and look back wishing it different. Don't hesitate to go all out. But I think the pink and brown is so sweet- since you already have it, go with it. It looks nice!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.