Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sick for a week now. It started with a sore throat, then snotty nose, etc. Now I have bronchitis and an ear infection. I finally went to the doctor a few days ago and got some medicine. Despite being on antibiotics for 3ish days I still feel terrible. She said to take no more Sudafed, but I need one so bad. [she only likes you to use it for 2-3 days at a time max] My head feels like its going to explode from sinus pressure. My chest "gunk" is getting better, but I still cough all the time.....which of course makes me pee. I might as well put a diaper on.

I just had to vent. I'm soooo tired of feeling bad, having no energy, and just being sick. My husband is tired of taking care of a whiney 3 year old and a whiney wife. Someone send some healthy, feeling better vibes my way!!

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Awww :-( That sucks.

I'm getting over a cold right now... fortunately, I came down with it Wednesday evening, and was able to mostly take it easy ever since. Today I feel almost better.

I was really worried about bronchitis, too.... that does happen to me. I've found that, if I start coughing a lot (which I haven't yet with this cold, thank goodness), I need to do a steam tent for 10 minutes before I go to bed, and dropping some eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils helps too. If I do that every night, I get enough rest and don't end up with bronchitis. When I have had bronchitis, it helps too... but I also needed an Albuterol treatment to loosen things up and get back on track.

Last full-blown case was when I was 8 months pregnant... the WHOLE month :-/. It was terrible. Couldn't sleep, didn't want to take anything, didn't get any exercise, blood pressure went up, fell behind in my classes. Finally did the albuterol nebulizer, and that got me back on track. They also gave me some cough syrup with codeine... which was amusing. First, the PA who saw me (at Student Health) was terrified to prescribe anything to a pregnant woman. Then she disappeared for 20 minutes, and came back having gotten her supervising physician's approval. I go upstairs to the pharmacy, and they flat-out will NOT give me the syrup until *they* talk to the doctor. What are they going to say... "You know she's pregnant, right?" Couldn't really miss it. Had to wait like 45 minutes for them to get that all sorted. Then they gave it to me, and by that time I was feeling kinda anxious about it, so I went down the street to my MW office to ask *them*. They said "try it for 24 hours, if it doesn't help, STOP taking it." Which is what I did (it did nothing for me).

Oh, also, I've found that sleeping with my head elevated makes a HUGE difference... I finally bought a bed wedge a few weeks ago, to make this easier. Used it last night, and slept much more soundly than I had the couple of nights previous (not waking up to wipe my nose all the time!)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much ladies... I know you all understand. I saw my MW today for my 2nd prenatal and she said she's seen lots of people come through the clinic with this crud and I should expect to be sick for a month. UGH!! She said she thought it was viral, but I could stay on the antibiotics. I had a brief scare when she couldn't find the hb on the doppler. I'm almost 12 weeks, so we should of been able to find it. She says..let me go get the ultrasound. I, of course, start worrying. Finally she comes back with the u/s. We saw a very wiggly little baby with a heartbeat. Whew.

I will continue to rest and take care of myself.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Does anyone have anymore recommendations to feeling better from sinus pressure and congestion? I like to be rubbed out on my back and enjoy the steam from showers. I just hit the 12 week mark and I am trying so hard to avoid meds, any naturally safe remedies would be great.
:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did try the neti pot with this illness. It works pretty good at clearing out your sinuses, but may not help with the pressure. Just remember to open your mouth before you start pouring.
According to my mw it is ok to take Sudafed. I was amazed what a difference just one made. I was hoping to avoid meds this time too...but that's out the window now. Unfortunately I'm still sick. My throat is starting to hurt again. Ugh. Don't be afraid to take meds if you really need them. Tylenol and plain Robitussin have really helped me with my symptoms. I try to limit their use to once a day.

Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
If misery loves company I'm there too. I spent the better part of the week unable to get out of bed. I just started antibiotics for this sinus mess last night and I'm really hoping it helps and really worried to take them at the same time. I hate being sick when I'm pg, but having a sinus infection from hell seems to be part of the experience for me.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Speaking of soup... the next morning after I started coming down with my cold (which is basically gone, but i still have some lingering overproduction of nasal mucous) I made chicken soup, and practically lived on it for the next several days. I'll share it with y'all, because it was really yummy, and I think really helped in getting better faster!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (or sub ACV)
~3 lbs. chicken legs and thighs with skin and bones
2-3 large carrots, cut in chunks
1 large onion, cut in chunks
sea salt, peppercorns, tumeric, and cumin to taste
2 bay leaves
12 oz. sliced mushrooms (I used a pack of presliced ones)
1 bunch spinach, somewhat chopped, or 1 bag baby spinach
lots of water

1. Fill stock pot about 3/4 full of (filtered) water. Add lemon juice, vinegar, and chicken, and let sit at room temp for about 30 minutes.

2. Bring to boil and add onion, carrot, spices.

3. Turn down to simmer; set timer for ~2-3 hours.

4. When timer goes off, pull chicken pieces out with tongs. Remove bones (remember the splinter bone on the legs), and remove as much skin as you can easily. Squeeze chicken with tongs to break it up, and add it back into soup.

5. Add mushrooms and spinach, and simmmer for another ~20-30 minutes.

It's soup! Yummy, too. My DH and FIL really enjoyed it too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.