Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh went deep sea fishing a couple nights ago and caught a 70lb Tuna....and I can't eat any of it
: I wish there was an icon that showed me bawling my head off. It's a beautiful fish, I don't know if any of you like sashimi, but I LOVE it. But we gave alot of it away and that felt pretty good. I was also going to vent that I am tired of only feeling my baby at night when I am falling asleep, but I just felt a roll and a bump. O.K. DC's are yelling for me!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I've had sushi twice since getting pregnant. If it's fresh, tuna isn't the worst kind to have!! I can't believe you didn't grab a bite. You're amazing!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I've eaten a ton of sushi (tuna too!) As long as its fresh a little isn't harmful, unless it comes from really polluted water but I don't imagine your family would be eating it either.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Out here, because sushi/seafood is a big deal, the WIC office and local midwives/OBs have come up with a pamphlet outlining which fish you could have, and how long you needed to wait after eating that fish to have another one. In fact, one of the nurses said to me, "What do you think all the Japanese women eat when they're pregnant? They don't stop eating sushi!" I've been told that as long as it's fresh, it's perfectly fine in moderated amounts and with some "wait time" in between.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I would totally eat the fish.
I haven't felt like it much this pregnancy.. but with DD2 its all I could stomach. I totally ate way more than the recommended amount too.
:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'm glad you had some. I wish I could of had some. Fresh tuna is so, so good. My husband and I go for sushi a lot, more than I would be allowed to eat, so while I'm muching away on chicken teryaki looking like a total sashimi novice he's eating a whole spread and making me drool!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuraiMom View Post
, I did have a little bit! and then I felt a little guilty, and then I read everyones posts, and I feel much better, thanks!

i'm so glad you did! i don't know if you saw the post a couple months back about sashimi being FINE during pg. 98% of food-bourne illnesses from seafood comes from SHELLFISH not being properly handled/cooked. it was an article in the nyt.

so sashimi is perfectly safe! i feel no guilt eating it and eat it as often as i can. i could literally live off of sashimi, miso soup, cucumber salad and fruit.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
i'm so glad you did! i don't know if you saw the post a couple months back about sashimi being FINE during pg. 98% of food-bourne illnesses from seafood comes from SHELLFISH not being properly handled/cooked. it was an article in the nyt.

so sashimi is perfectly safe! i feel no guilt eating it and eat it as often as i can. i could literally live off of sashimi, miso soup, cucumber salad and fruit.

Ugh, now you tell me, I could have eatten that whole fish myself! Everyone that we've given pieces too has told me how much they enjoyed it and that it was best raw! I'm having sashimi this weekend! and now I want miso too.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuraiMom View Post
Ugh, now you tell me, I could have eatten that whole fish myself! Everyone that we've given pieces too has told me how much they enjoyed it and that it was best raw! I'm having sashimi this weekend! and now I want miso too.

: sorry mama, this is the first time i've been able to post anything in what seems like at least a week
: life has been super-crazy lately.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Believe you me sister, you just gave me the thumbs up to eat my fave food! I can only thank you! That fish was soooo beautiful though, the inside that is, I was more happy that dh caught it, I think it's the biggest fish he's evr caught, it was his first overnight on a boat too, I'm telling you he came back a changed man, and so many people got to enjoy it as well!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
that's so awesome! i think men *need* to do things like that. they are so primal and raw and our society doesn't encourage that in a useful way. i am so happy for both of you that your dh got to experience deep sea fishing. there is something about men and the sea...................it gets me all dreamy..................

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dea View Post
I'm glad you had some. I wish I could of had some. Fresh tuna is so, so good. My husband and I go for sushi a lot, more than I would be allowed to eat, so while I'm muching away on chicken teryaki looking like a total sashimi novice he's eating a whole spread and making me drool!
I do the same thing! No matter how good the chicken teriyaki is, it can't compare to all the good stuff my husband is going to town on.

I'm going to have to find the NYT article that ScarletBegonias mentioned to show him so he will stop giving me dirty looks as I steal pieces off of his plate!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColesMommy View Post
I'm going to have to find the NYT article that ScarletBegonias mentioned to show him so he will stop giving me dirty looks as I steal pieces off of his plate!
I think someone posted it (or the link) in this DDC. Just do a search for "sushi". I'm almost 100% you'll find it. I went out the same day that I read it and had some sushi

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.