Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're moving next weekend and DH and I will be sharing a nice big bedroom and using it as a workroom. Half for his computer stuff and half for my sewing/knitting/crafting etc stuff. (I think I have more stuff than he does.) Right now I'm storing all my yarn and notions in a tall, five-drawer dresser, but my ds is going to be using it at the new place.

I have a couple clear rubbermaid-type bins that have been used for storing my kitchen stuff for the last two years, which will work just fine, but I really can't stand stacking boxes and having to dig the bottom one out. I want something that will look really nice as well as be functional. They'll be in the room as opposed to in a closet or something. A little superficial, I know, but I've been living in chaos the last several years and would love to have a relaxing craft room.

·
Registered
701 Posts
DO you want open storage or something closed. Do you like the idea of the plastic boxes, but they'd be better on open shelves (then you wouldn't have to lift multiple boxes). Do you like your drawer system and just want to get another dresser? How much do you want your stuff hidden versus out in the open? Are moths a concern for you?

~amey

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the closed storage. You know, I think you've hit the nail on th head for me. I should just get another dresser
Thanks Amey!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I'm using a dollhouse. It has 2 doors on the front and the rooms basically amount to cubby holes. I would take a pic but we are in the middle of moving and I've already wrapped it in a ton of bubble wrap and a blanket. Its a family heirloom so I'm worried about it. Its perfect for storing yarn. The only real problem is that some day I'm going to have to give it up and pass it on to the kids to play with.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Oh wow Pumpkin, how cool is the dollhouse. I would love to see a pic of that when you have time!

I deal with space issues and have a few different solutions. I have a clear bin for yarns that are not currently in use or soon to be in use. I have the bin under a little table next to a little trunk that has all my needle felting stuff. I like the closable storage becaue I can put cedar in there to discourage wool moths. On top of my little table I have a basket with my current project, the yarn, needles, and the actual work. I have a felted French Market bag with the yarn for my future projects and some projects that I have put on hold in the middle, and then I have another basket with my books, my needle case, and my notebook of patterns.

I have to work hard at keeping my stash small, I am pretty much maxed out on my storage space. I do like having the baskets on top though because the yarn peeking out and the work right there is so pretty and so inspiring.

ND

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I have a single basket (and a single basket for my spinning stash.) I need to buy more yarn.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have plastic stackable bins with drawers, on wheels. I really like them because I can see all the yarn, but it is neat and I don't have to unstack the pile of boxes each time I want the bottom yarn. They came from Container store or something like that.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rorysgirl1
make your life easy and send me the yarn.

LOL, I'll let you know if I decide to cut down

1 - 9 of 9 Posts