Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DS was such an easy baby, but now he's a toddler and no longer easy.<br>
I have NO IDEA how to handle tantrums. And they're happening more and more often all the time. It's making me not want to do fun things because of the inevitable tantrums when said fun thing ends. Like playing outside. I love playing outside, but at some point we're going to have to come inside and that's going to cause a major tantrum. Yesterday we had our first major public tantrum. We were shopping at home depot. Anytime there's a shopping cart involved I usually bring the ergo because DS will sit in the cart for a little while, but eventually he's going to start trying to climb out. That's when I switch him to the ergo. Well this shopping trip yesterday was supposed to be really fast, so I didn't bother with the ergo. On this particular trip, the climbing out of the cart started really quickly, so I tried just carrying him for a little while (because, you know, it's so easy to carry a flailing toddler in one arm while pushing a cart with the other) but he DID NOT want to be carried. He LOVES to push the cart. He stands in between me and the cart and holds on to the bar at the bottom. I usually don't let him do this because of what happens when it's time for the cart to stop moving. But he wouldn't sit in the cart and he wouldn't let me hold him, so I finally gave him and let him push the cart. Then we got to the checkout. As soon as I stopped the cart, he tried to push it and it wouldn't go, so he just threw himself on the floor and started screaming. I tried to pick him up, but he did the thing where he throws his upper body forward and locks his knees so it's basically impossible to hold him. I had to check out, so I let him lay on the floor and scream. There just wasn't anything else I could do. I would really love to avoid this type of thing in the future. Advice? TIA.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
My daughter is 3 months younger than your son and we are starting to deal with this, too. Would love to see some responses on this thread.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Maybe at that point you could have had him "help" you unload the cart or get your money out of your wallet, etc. so he still felt involved? Maybe he is very tunnel-vision, but a good distraction could work.<br><br>
I know it is really hard, especially in public to not just give in and let him do what he wants. But you giving in just reads as "if I yell loud enough she'll do what I want." I think consistency is really the key. And I don't know how verbal your son is, but I've found choices to be really effective with kids I've nannied for. Like if it's time to leave the park. "It is time to leave, X. You may walk to the car or I will carry you to the car." Give him a minute, and then say "Ok, you are not walking so I am going to carry you." and then follow through if he doesn't move (or throws a tantrum). After 3 or 4 repeats of this, he'll walk.<br><br>
Good luck and I'm interested in what others have to say because my son is just entering this phase.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts