Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am a new member and am *hoping* I am posting this in the correct category.

I have missed 2 periods, 3 if I do not get one within the next 2 weeks. I have taken quite a few hpts, all of which have shown a negative. I tried Clearblue digital, and First Response. The thing about first response is, that I saw a very faint 2nd line, though I dismissed the probability of being pregnant after following up with a Clearblue digital. I'm usually regular with my periods, so for me to miss 2 in a row is odd.

Anyway, I have experienced what I believe to be early signs, though I am not sure. This is what I am experiencing:

- light cramping on the right side of my uterus.

- crazy fatigue. I thought I was sleeping too much, if that makes sense, so I gave myself 8 hours but found myself sleepy only about 3 to 4 hours later.

- slight lower back pain

- headaches. I thought it was my contacts, but I switched to my glasses and still go through them from time to time. It is sometimes accompanied by dizziness and double vision.

- random nausea.

- hot flashes

- I want to say frequent urination, but I have had increased thirst...urination is a natural response

- mood swings

I'm trying not to sabotage my ovulation by stressing over a possible pregnancy, but it's hard not to.

I do have a doctor's appointment at some point in the next week or so...but I'd like to know what you think. Are there better hpts than the ones I have taken? Should I take more or just wait until I see the doctor?

·
Banned
419 Posts
You tried two brands and both are negative - I'd say no need to get another brand of pee test. Could be a small chance that one was defective - but not two. That seems unlikely. It can't hurt to do another test. Make sure to use your early morning pee.

I'd go to the doctor and get a blood test.

False negatives happen (false positives don't).

If you want to be pregnant, I hope you are. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
There are many things that can cause you not finish a cycle out like normal, one of those may be happening. Most are harmless for the most part, just annoying, specially if you are wanting to get preggo. Heck when I was first tring for a child, I had a cycle that lasted 101 days before I finally ended it with progesterone. If this undisgnoised I would totally speak to a OBGYN about it, if it keeps happening and you are not getting clear reasons why or you are trying OT get preggo, I suggest you see a RE (reproductive endocrinologist). In the 4 year journey it took for me to Concorde and carry my babies, I was continually shocked how much GYNs don't know about pregnancy and birth and even a lot of OBs only know what is "normal"

Good luck, start with a blood test

·
Registered
545 Posts
I know a couple of women that have children and never tested positive on a pregnancy test. Although rare....sometimes your body produces a different kind of hormone than what the test picks up. My cousin was 9 mos pregnant and still had a false pregnancy test. A girl I went to school with got pregnant and the doctor's debated with her for about 2 mos whether she was pregnant or not as her blood test showed a hormone level of 8. Which is positive but should've been rising, and wasn't. They finally did an ultrasound and there the baby was healthy heartbeat and all.

Also, I *think* with ectopic pregnancy your hormone level could be low. And if you're having pain on one side with some lower back pain that could be a symptom. Not that I'm trying to scare you! Because of course those are also normal pregnancy symptoms as well. But I would definately get checked out with your OBGYN.

But in the mean time I'd get an early pregnancy test and test with first morning urine and see what that says. If you find out you're expecting...congratulations!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If you got a faint second line, I'd say you're preggo. Both my MIL and SIL got false negatives, so it does happen. If I were you, I'd make an apointment with your doc. If you aren't pregnant you should still be seen because you sound miserable....headaches, fatigue, etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If you got a faint line after one missed period, I would guess you were probably pregnant, but after two missed periods, I would guess not. That gives you a long time for the hcg levels to climb and if it wasn't a blaring positive after two and a half months, I would guess it is pretty unlikely. The only way to know for sure though would be to go talk to your doctor and get a blood hcg test done. There are other reasons you could be missing a period too. Good luck on your journey!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post if it wasn't a blaring positive after two and a half months, I would guess it is pretty unlikely.
Well, yes and no, because if HCG has climbed above the point where it would register on the test, the test could show a negative even if she's pregnant.

I agree it is time to see a doc and figure out what's up.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Well, yes and no, because if HCG has climbed above the point where it would register on the test, the test could show a negative even if she's pregnant.

I agree it is time to see a doc and figure out what's up.
If you've missed two periods and are two weeks from missing a third, that would make you about 10 weeks pregnant. By then, the hcg range is 25000 to 288000 and even the cheapo tests pick up hcg levels of 100 and up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The doctor's appointment failed, the only obgyn I trust is not available until the end of June. I will have to visit a clinic to get blood work done, which is something I wanted to avoid. I haven't had good experiences with my location. Meh, I need to figure this out though.

Hopefully this'll happen tomorrow...because now my bra is tight..

I actually got the wrong size, so it was a bit loose, but now its pretty tight...to the level of it being uncomfortable.

Also my breasts are tender.

I do hope that I am pregnant, that'd be great, but I'm scared at the same time. I planned to have children in another two years, and to "healthify" myself beforehand. But things happen for a reason, I suppose.

I just hope I'm not stressing myself out and tricking my body into thinking I'm preg. I've read about this and doesn't sound fun.

I don't think It is ectopic because I read that one would get sharp pains and bleed a bit. That scares the crap out of me.

Forgive me if I sound like a whiny child, I just don't *like* not knowing what's up. I won't have money for a hot until tomorrow around noon so a test with first urine is out for tomorrow. Should I chance taking it then, or just wait until Thursday morning?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishmommy View Post

If you got a faint second line, I'd say you're preggo. Both my MIL and SIL got false negatives, so it does happen. If I were you, I'd make an apointment with your doc. If you aren't pregnant you should still be seen because you sound miserable....headaches, fatigue, etc. Good luck!
Hm...I stopped using First Response after that, I used Clearblue, thinking it'd be more accurate. I got the negative from CB...think it makes a difference?

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany42309 View Post
My cousin was 9 mos pregnant and still had a false pregnancy test.
as a strange side note, i belive HCG is a part of early pregnancy and actually a lot of ladies will test negative if they test in the later parts of their pregnancy!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

as a strange side note, i belive HCG is a part of early pregnancy and actually a lot of ladies will test negative if they test in the later parts of their pregnancy!
HCG is a healthy part of pregnancy but it is believed that sometimes women can make a different kind than others. And is true that HCG goes back down during later pregnancy but definately stays up way high enough to test positive on a pg test. Especially a blood test! I used to work in a lab that ran hormone levels on pregnant women.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
First Response has a much better track record than the Clear Blue tests do (especially the Clear Blue digitals) so I would go that way. Make sure you get a test with the two lines side by side II instead of a plus sign +. Also make sure it is a pink dye test and not a blue dye.

But yes, what Adorkable and erigeron said is definitely true. If you are actually close to 3 months pregnant, your HCG levels could be too high to show on a pregnancy test. Store bought pregnancy tests actually max out on how much HCG they can detect. By 3 months pregnant I showed negative on home pregnancy tests unless I diluted my urine with sterile water before dipping the test. So you have a bit of a dilemma - if you're relatively newly pregnant, you want to use first morning urine and not waste a test by taking it in the afternoon. If you're more like 10-12 weeks pregnant, afternoon or diluted urine may be a better way to go. In the end, theonly way you'll know for sure is if you go and get a blood test, so I'd say go to your local clinic and get it done. Even if it's not the best clinic, all you need is a yes or no answer - you can go see your regular doctor or obgyn once you know. But in the mean time, the sooner you can find out an answer, the better your health (and potentially, the baby's health) will be.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm gonna have to do a little experiment as I'm not sure I believe this. I'll be 28 weeks pregnant tomorrow, I'm gonna get a test and see what it says. As a medical laboratory scientist this is something I've never heard of...being too pregnant to be positive on a hpt. I'm very curious about this! In the lab we always correlated a blood test with a standard urine test (same thing as a hpt). Even at high levels of hcg we would still get a positive with urine tests. Not that all those urines were first morning though. Let you know how my experiment goes....

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
privateeyes.gif
Very curious to hear the outcome of your experiment, Bethany! The hCG levels supposedly peak and level off around 9-11 weeks, so I would assume that would be the cut off for HPT's IF this is in fact true. I'm 14 weeks and have one more HPT... wondering if I should experiment as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took two more tests, one in the am, and one at around 1am. Both of which came out negative.

I called the doctor to make an appt. only to be told to wait until Monday morning.

I called the clinic to see if they administer blood tests, only to not have an answer on the other line.

How. Frustrating.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.