Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes...23 weeks and I'm off to sleep on the ground with the family for the weekend...thankfully we have an air mattress!!!!

Anyone else camped while with child???

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
enjoy!
I am preparing this weekend for our big July 4th camp out. My family has a piece of land up in the Adirondacks (NY state) where we go camping a few times a year. No water, no electric, just woods. It's great fun, but a lot of work.
I am trying to do as much in advance as I can, so that cooking is easier while I'm up there. (I am cooking for 20 people.) Normally I would do this all by myself, but this year I simply have to ask for help.
I am hoping that I will be able to sleep comfortably. That's the worst right now -- just can't sleep.
Next year I will have an 8 month old with us while camping! The thought of that blows my mind!!
:

·
Registered
164 Posts
you go gurrrrrllll!ha!
i went camping last weekend at 24 weeks.
slept on a comforter on the ground...
not a good idea.
my hips hurt all night but since i was in camping mode i made it through!
have an awesome time but definitely consider the air mattress!
keep us updated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think around 23 weeks is a GREAT time to go camping. I went camping right around that time a few weeks ago and it was wonderful. My nausea lasted through 20 weeks so I wouldn't have enjoyed going a lot earlier, and at 23 weeks I wasn't too uncomfortable yet. Best time of the pregnancy for me.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
i am 25 weeks and we are leaving today for a 2 night trip. i told DH that if he wanted me to camp this year, i had to at least have an air mattress. he bought me one!! so now i have to go. lol. i am excited though. we do it every year and he has been waiting so long to go this year. we arent going way deep or anything, just a state park an hour from here. the kids love campping so i will trudge through. i am going to be so tired when i get back though. he wants to canoe and hike and stuff. some of it i will have to sit out. def wearing good shoes. it might just be good for me.

i def reccomend an air mattress. i know my hips hurt after sleeping in a real bed, imagine the ground. ouch.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Dd and I did backyard camping about 1 1/2 months ago - at 20 weeks. Dh slept inside because he is not as much as a camping fan. We had planned to go to a campsite - but then it was supposed to rain hard and we wanted to be close to the house in case we wanted to go inside.

However, we are going to an actual campground this evening at 26 weeks, and we are planning to camp two nights. There is a waterfall nearby we can hike to, a lake to swim in, and beautiful mountain views. I'm so excited! The funny thing is though, that my husband is the one that wants the air matress! So he bought a $30 one. It's funny so many of us are going camping this weekend.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
We were camping last week. Everyone was worried about me and my 3 year old in the heat but it was DH who got sick. We had to come home early.

We got the extra large cots from Cabellas this year and they were great. Besides not having to get up off the ground it was nice to have under cot storage. The tent stayed neater.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I'm going camping when I will be closer to 28 weeks, why not? We did sleep in our tent a few weeks ago when we went to a wedding out of town, but sleeping on a Thermarest is un-comfy while pg. When we go next time we will have our van and can bring our futon instead. Way better. I'm one of those who tries to just keep on keepin on when pg, being idle makes me go crazy.

I'm going to Coldplay in a couple weeks, then camping and I'm sure some other adventures. I find it makes me feel much better.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I just went camping in the Eastern Sierra's last week. I was 25 weeks. We went for five days and I slept in a tent through thunderstorms. I have an air mattress and took my tempurpedic pillows so I was wonderfully comfortable. I slept with my two year old who kept me quite cozy. We camped at 9400 feet but hiked up to 11500 feet one day to a beautiful lake and fished. Didn't catch anything but the view alone was worth it. Have a great trip.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
have a great time.

We are going to my mom's lake this weekend. She has a small cabin but the kids and I sleep on the floor because there are no bedrooms. I just bought us an elevated air mattress because I don't think I can do the floor right now.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
have a wonderful time!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I planned a big camping trip for Aug. I'll be around 35 weeks. I am hoping it's fine. I am in charge of it, too.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
I'm going camping when I will be closer to 28 weeks, why not? We did sleep in our tent a few weeks ago when we went to a wedding out of town, but sleeping on a Thermarest is un-comfy while pg. When we go next time we will have our van and can bring our futon instead. Way better. I'm one of those who tries to just keep on keepin on when pg, being idle makes me go crazy.

I'm going to Coldplay in a couple weeks, then camping and I'm sure some other adventures. I find it makes me feel much better.
Are you seeing them in WA? We must live somewhat near each other. My in-laws live in Ridgefield. Are you going to OCF?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dani76 View Post
Are you going to OCF?
We're going to OCF on Friday. Hoping it's not too hot and dusty!

We went camping in the Redwoods a month ago (air mattress included) and it was wonderful. We have 2 tents set up in our garden for play, but haven't actually slept in them at night recently. As soon as the summer heat really kicks in, I would love to be outside most nights.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
we're back
the weekend just flew by. Being pregnant wasn't so much of an issue although i am totally shattered now!!! My two year old had a blast although I did get annoyed from time to time with her facination with the mobile toilets and her wanting to constantly visit them. She didn't have an accident the whole weekend! Was a bit more sensitive and emotional than usual....but nothing that ruined it for us
We were with a big group so I didn't have to do any cooking!
I see it as preparation for when we go to a music festival at the end of August. I'll be 30 weeks then!!!!

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
We just went camping, and came back early after one night not because of my pregnancy really, but because there were tons of mosquitos, our site was slanted and we kept sliding around and slept terribly (even with an air mattress), and because we were with a group with several kids that awoke at sunrise, which up here is 5 am. They were playing right next to our tent and I couldn't sleep through it. I am still tired after a night here at home!

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
DH and I took the kids this weekend. 2 whole nights! I loved it.

we have a 3 room tent so my 2 girls got their own room. i had an air mattress and took my body pillow with me. my hips didnt hurt in the morning!

DS had his own tent. cause he is 14. lol. he even wandered around (after getting over his Nintendo DS withdrawal) and found some girls his age to flirt with. we had to make him walk around and then couldnt keep him at the campsite. so funny.

we did camp on a slope but it didnt really bother us to much. we had a huge site. lots of room. DH and i took turns cooking, we went hiking, he went fishing, i got to sit and eat as many smores as i wanted.... it was cool.

DH even bought a water jug this time. holds like 10 gal and you hang it up. almost like running water.

DH tried to pick the perfect site for his hammock, but i made him pick the perfect site for walking to the bathroom. me and 2 girls.... when you gotta go ya gotta go. lol.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
DDC

I am due early November and just went camping (again). I still love it. I don't have an air mattress, just a thermorest and a sleeping bag. 3 days of camping, hinking, being outside with my dh and it was great. I so hope we'll go camping soon again!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sounds like a lot of us had a great time, and some of us not so much.

We just got back from camping for two nights on Sunday. We had a great time! We all slept really well.

We went on what we thought would be a three hour hike to the waterfall and back (from the trail maps estimation), but turned out to be a 6 1/2 hr hike! I did not consider that the trail map wouldn't be estimating for a 6 yr old that would need to stop every 15 min for a rest.
But it was definately worth it. Even my 6 yr old dd who had been complaining her feet hurt the whole time told me when we got there, "Oh Mommy, this was worth it! It was a gorgeous 60 ft waterfall hidden amongst the trees. We all had a great time standing underneath the waterfall getting a shower from it. Unfortunately, we forgot our camera.

We also had a great time swimming, fishing, and toasting marshmellows. I'd love to do it again soon, but I don't know if we will have time with packing all our stuff, moving, and unpacking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts