Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my child is not born yet and I will probably be on maternity leave until sometime in July but I have been looking into my options for months now and I am totally panicking about what to do...

I currently work full time and go to school full time (I'm a Junior but with the baby coming I am estimating 3 more years) and even though DH makes more $$ than me, I am the only one with benefits.

I have looked into all types of childcare and it seams like most daycare centers around here only take older children, I can't afford a nanny (which sucks because I would have been able to use my sister!) and I am nervous about in home daycare being new to the area I live in - I just feel really nervous about finding a good home. My SIL has offered but she is going to have a brand new baby (2mos old or less) when I go back to work - I just can't see having her watch two newborns - and would she even care about mine? I know I would be way more focused on my own baby...the good thing about that scenario is the baby would be close to my work and I could nurse him on my lunch break.

My other option (maybe if my employer goes for it) would be working at home from 1 full day plus the first few hours of 3 other days (adding up to 17hrs at home a week) and my DH could watch the baby the rest of the time while I was at work. But, I am nervous about this because I don't know if I will get my work done...or if DH will have too high of expectations for me with keeping the house clean etc...
(Oh, and hopefully my mom would watch the baby for a couple hours twice a week while I would be in school).

Any advice from people that have experience with these various scenarios? Other ideas I have not thought of?

I think that was really long (maybe I was venting - sorry) but I guess my main concerns are what is best for baby, we can afford, and I can somehow keep the dishes washed and laundry put away...(which yes, I can hardly do now).

If I was to switch to working parttime does anyone know of affordable healthcare that still has desent copays etc? We make just a little too much to qualify for government assistance - so that is not an option for us right now...however it is stupid because I am paying a good portion of my salary right into my tuition.

Well...sorry to keep on venting..I hope some sense can be made of what I wrote...and thanks for any sugestions! (I have been lurking for a while - and I really hate to have my first post be so negative!)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hang in there, mama! You are surfing on pg hormones right now, which just makes everything more extreme!

I am not in your exact situation, but I did have to go back to work after just 2 months and didn't have the money to put ds in dc or family that could watch him.

What we did was split-shift parenting. I went into work at 5 a.m. and left at noon. My dh would work in the afternoon. We didn't put our ds in dc full time till he was about 15 mo (and that was the PERFECT age for that to happen, IMO!).

I don't know if this can work for you, but if you haven't considered it, it might work out. Can your dh work different hours than the traditional 9-5? Can you take night or online classes?

If you can minimize the amount of time you or dh are away from dc, you may be able to afford a babysitter, or at the very least utilize SIL without TOO much worry that she is neglecting your dc (remember, this child is her niece/nephew too!)

HTH!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post

My other option (maybe if my employer goes for it) would be working at home from 1 full day plus the first few hours of 3 other days (adding up to 17hrs at home a week) and my DH could watch the baby the rest of the time while I was at work. But, I am nervous about this because I don't know if I will get my work done...or if DH will have too high of expectations for me with keeping the house clean etc...
(Oh, and hopefully my mom would watch the baby for a couple hours twice a week while I would be in school).

I would really explore this option. If you have a happy baby, you might be able to get a fair amount done (my first would have accomodated this - my second not at all!). Also, DH being the primary caretaker for some hours each week has had some tremendous benefits in my family that I never thought of. Because of it, he is more attached/connected to our children and also is way more understanding of what it takes to take care of kids (it will also help lower his expectations of a clean house!).

After my first was born, my DH stayed home full time. After my second was born, he went back to work and now we are somewhat split shifting it with grandparents filling in for the time we are both gone (which is still a lot - around 30 hours a week). It is really hard to manage all of the "who's on first" kind of logistics (who is taking DD#1 to school, who is picking her up, who has the baby, etc), but I've come to realize that any situation has its challenges, and I've decided these are more tolerable for me than those I might face with other childcare situations.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.