Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I need to know your tricks mamas!! DS is 2 weeks old exclusively breastfed and the boy won't burp!!
: I've tried everything. I've held him on my shoulder and patted rubbed and bounced. I've set him on my lap supported his head, leaned him to the left and bounced (Dr showed me that for DS#1 worked like a charm). I've layed him accross my lap and patted rubbed and bounced. After 5 minutes I'm tired and lay him down with one of two outcomes. He'll spit up a bit OR nothing until later when he's screaming from gas pains!
He is other wise a perfect baby (not a spitter, only cries to eat or be changed) so I know it's the stinking burping that's the problem. What do I do??

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
wierd. At first I was going to say that breastfed babies don't necisarily (cannot spell that word, lol) need to burpe because they don't take in a lot of air while eating, but you said he's screaming from gas pains....all I can think is try cutting out food that could be causing the gas pains....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Try lifting him straight up in the air a couple of times, over your head (carefully of course). Then try patting a little. I've had trouble getting my little one to burp, and this has actually worked for me -- not always, but fairly reliably.

Hope this helps. Oh, and about the belief that breastfed babies don't take in much air -- my baby gulps A LOT of air when she is eating, and so did my son. I would definitely try different burping techniques or nursing positions before doing any sort of elimination diet.

~Scout

·
Registered
720 Posts
I kind of agree with the along the lines of the no need for burping. I mean, if the burp doesn't come up pretty easily, then there probalby is no need to burp. I have to go with the pp who said perhaps it's something you are eating that is causing the gas. I think naturally Mamas pat there babies on the back ever so gently and sometimes that is enough to bring up whatever air they swallowed. Certainly doesn't seem like something nature intended us to need to try every means necessary to burp. Also, something else that I was thinking...If you have a very generous supply of milk and the letdown is difficult for your baby to handle, maybe you can hand express some until the flow equalizes. Your baby is so young, and maybe his swallowing technique needs some perfection. Perhaps that is causing the additional air, that is causing the gas. Sorry I'm rambling...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can hear him swallowing the air. I think he doesn't have his breathing/swallowing pattern perfected yet. I have not had anything "gassy" yet, DS #1 had gas issues so I sort of assumed the same diet out of habit.

My newest thing has been to try and burp him when I hear the air, but that causes allot of latching on and off and probably more air....

·
Registered
435 Posts
when my baby is fussy after nursing, I put him in my kozy carrier, and he will usually burp at some point while he is in there. I think the being pulled tight to me, the movement of me bouncing him around or whatever I am doing, and the being upright all work in favor of burping him. It might be worth trying a mei tai.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
What happens if you don't put him down? I mean, if you don't bother with the bouncing and patting and other such baby acrobatics; if you just sit or stand there holding him in what feels like a natural upright or semi-upright position, doesn't he burp eventually?

I've never really been a fan of the whole pre-burp acrobatic routine, myself. I've always figured that for *most* babies, if you just keep them in a position where the gas will be on top, they'll let it go eventually.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
couple of thoughts...how is your latch? If you can hear him swallowing air, I would say that the latch is as good as it could be.

After feeding him can you put him in a sling for a while or if he is asleep and you need to put him down, the car seat?

And here is the person question
how are his bowl movements? are they mustardy yellow or foamy green?

V.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Latch is good, he's not getting air that way...it's so confusing!!

It's interesting about the holding/slinging. I didn't realize until now that my problem is only at night (when I lay him back down).

He does have normal yellow seedy stools...why?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
just wondering if you had a bit of an oversupply and he was getting too much hindmillk and causing gassy, foamy BMs.

I wonder if the problem is not a form of reflux. Does the screaming start before or after the spit up? I do not know much about reflux.. maybe a mama that has a baby with it could chime in

Anyway, I would put him in the carseat after feeding to sleep and see if that helps. Also mention it to the doctor...do you use an MD or a ND?

V.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use an MD, my first 2 had reflux, Ds#1 so bad we had xrays and tests done and tried every medication there is. He's 17 mo and still spits up occasionally. This is not reflux, he only spits up 1 or 2 times a day and only cries when he has a very gassy bowel movement.

That's weird about the hind milk, I didn't know they could get too much. I always worry he's not getting enough. Great another thing to worry about.

As goofy as it sounds I think if I pat him a bit then lay him down and pick him up again he'll burp and all is right with the world. I found this out by mistake.
Hmm, boobs are hurtin' guess we'll get to try out this method again soon!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.