Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies!! I could use some help from all you experienced CDers. I really want to use cloth diapers with our child and I don't know what I need, what brand to choose, etc.

I would prefer something that is easy to use- no pins or hard to figure out diapers.

Also wondering- how exactly do you clean the diapers? This may sound like a silly question but my only experience in working with children is throwing the diapers away so I have no idea what you do- scrape the poop into a toilet and wash or what?

I think disposable diapers are so extremely wasteful and bad for the environment and I really want to CD, just completely clueless!

THANKS!
Linz

·
Registered
729 Posts
This thread was just started the other you may find some of the info useful

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=488073

Congratulations on your baby & your decision to use cloth

I too really wanted "easy", but I didn't start cding until dd was 8 months old. After reading all the information here though I'm sure that with a newborn I will use prefolds, snappies & bummis super whisper wrap covers and probably a combination of wool & fitteds in there as well. I've heard pockets & similar diapers don't always work well with newborns.

Just keep hanging out here and you'll learn everything you need to know in no time

·
Registered
136 Posts
With cloth diapers, basically the easier they are to use, the more expensive they are and the more they require special care when laundering. So keep in mind that it's kind've a tradeoff and depends on your budget.

The diapers that are the easiest to use are All in Ones (AIOs). They're very much like a disposable - just take out and snap or velcro onto the baby. But they're generally the most expensive, plus because they have so many layers of fabric, they take the longest to dry. And many AIOs are not supposed to be put in the dryer, so they REALLY take a long time to dry.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are prefolds or flats which generally require folding (yeah, even though they are called "prefolds"). They are rectangles that you either fold and pin (or snappi, an alternative to pins that I think is slightly easier) or fold into thirds and put inside a cover. BUT these diapers are very hardy - they withstand a lot of abuse and can be washed and dried with no special instructions.

There are several types of diapers in the middle, but I like pockets the best. There are diapers that are easier but more expensive, or cheaper but more work - these are a compromise. They snap or velcro on (no pins or folding) but you stuff the absorbent part in separately, which makes laundering/drying a lot easier. FuzziBunz is a very popular brand of pockets. We use them and like them a lot. You should check out reviews of FBs (and other types of diapers) on www.diaperpin.com. I use mostly pockets with my newborn, but I also use some prefolds and another type called fitteds.

As far as cleaning poop, breastfed babies' poop dissolves in the washer so you can just throw the diaper in there. Once they start eating solids and the poop changes, many people still just dump the diaper in without doing something beforehand. Others find that they don't get clean unless they spray/scrape the poop off first.

There's a lot of information on the diaperpin website - you should check it out.

·
Registered
738 Posts
We prefer mostly fitteds with newborns such as My Precious baby, SB fitteds,diaper babies, and tykie diapers. We use pro rap covers. Also love magic alls in xs, tiny hienys and preemie fuzzi bunz.
We wsh with 1 tablespoon of "Little Miracles for diapers and pails"
We do a dry pail
cold rinse
HOT wash with 1 Tablespoon of Little Miracles
2 rinses
Dry
Lynda

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I am the oldest of 6 kids and remember diapering the younger kids with CPFs so they were not so freaky to me- DH on the other hand,
I bought 2doz PFs and 6 BSWW covers. But before doing that I spent ALOT of time lurking here and asking questions. I read so many diapering sites. One I really liked alot for basics was http://diaperpages.com/

Just keep reading and asking questions! Good Luck and congrats!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much for your info. I am definitely going to research more into all the different kinds. It seems kind of overwhelming all the different kinds of cloth diapers out there- OH MY. I guess that is why we get 9 months to prepare for our little ones

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm fairly new to CD, started when my dd was older & it's been a great experience.

Lots of diaper sites offer how-to info. - just look around at some of the links posted.

We use a dry pail (lined with a wet bag) and only wipe off the worst of the poo (if any). They always come clean in the wash - cold cycle first just to rinse, then a hot cycle w/ a little detergent. Most dipes will have instructions.

Try the trading post here on mdc and ebay to try a few different kinds. We like the all-in-ones (aio's) to get us started b/c they are easy like 'sposies, but have now branched out and tried several types. We actually got some one size aio's so we can adapt them as our dd grows - they've been great for around the house where we can change her as she wets.

p.s. snappi's are the new pins - much easier!

ellacy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just wanted to add that if you're concerned about the cleaning part, I recommend getting a sprayer from potty pail. It's basically a kitchen sink sprayer that attatches to your toilet. It works great!!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I switched to cloth with my 3rd dd after a friend persuaded me to give it a try. I was pretty skeptical, but I was pleasantly surprised to find how easy and even fun it was. I started with prefolds and velcro wraps, because it was all I knew existed. They were so easy to use and we never got leaks onto clothing like we had with disposables. Later on with my 5th baby I branched out and tried a bunch of different kinds(fitteds, aios, and pockets), but I ended up liking my prefolds better than any of them. I'd suggest getting at least a dozen or two prefolds, 8 nb covers, some fitteds, aios, and maybe a few pockets. I'd also recommend getting 2 or 3 different brands of the covers, fitteds and aios, so you can see which works best for your baby and which "you" like best before you invest in a bunch of any one kind.

Cleaning the diapers is a cinch! My wash routine is: Cold rinse, Hot wash/cold rinse cycle w/ small amount detergent, 2nd cold rinse. Then toss everything in the dryer. I never thought I would actually enjoy doing any kind of laundry, but there's nothing like putting in a load of soiled diapers and then taking out a fresh, warm armfull of clean fluffy diapers. It's even fun folding them! During the days of breastfeeding only there's no need to rinse or dump the poopies into the toilet. Since breastmilk stools dissolve so easily, they can go right in the dry pail and then straight to the washer on wash day. Once my babies are on solids, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my diaper sprayer. Well worth the $$, imo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts