Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***Posted here as well as in the Montessori forum ... maybe some other mamas here will be able to offer some input. TIA!***<br><br>
Many people have recently posted about kindergarten readiness. My dilemma is similar, but I am wondering about 1st grade readiness.<br><br>
Here's the deal; I'll try to be brief. My 5yo DS has been going to a Montessori preschool for three years. He started at 3 days a week, then went to 5, and now he does what they call Extended Day, which is the Montessori equivalent of kindergarten (here anyway). For several reasons, we have decided (almost certainly) that we want to wait another year before sending him to public school first grade. First, he has a late-fall b-day. Second, he seems a bit emotionally immature. He has no problem following directions and he does not have behavioral issues, but he can get pretty emotional about little things. He cries a lot, and whines. Third, he is still developing his gross motor skills. He is extremely tall and big for his age (4'6", 50 lbs), and he has always been slightly delayed in regard to physical movement and coordination.<br><br>
I have talked with his teacher, and she agrees that he would really benefit from another year (she did say, however, that if we decided to send him to 1st grade he would most likely be fine). But here's the thing: the tuition is a big deal for us. We have made it work so far, somehow, but we certainly didn't plan for another year of private school. We could send him to public school kindergarten, although the Montessori teacher advised against it. She thinks he would be bored, and it's only half-day whereas he's already been going full day. And I work two days/week, and I would have to find part-time child care for those two days.<br><br>
Okay, and here's the other thing. My son does not even really like school. He does okay, but he would much prefer to be home with me, just hanging out. It makes me wonder if the school itself is not a good fit. He seems to lack motivation and concentration, which may work against him in a Montessori atmosphere. I wonder how he would do in a more traditional classroom, but I personally love the protective bubble of his school right now. It's so nurturing and controlled.... I'm not sure I'm ready to let go of that yet.<br><br>
So I guess my basic questions are these:<br>
1) wwyd if you were me?<br>
2) do the reasons I gave for waiting on 1st grade seem reasonable?<br>
3) what was your experience if you went from Montessori preschool to public kindergarten?<br><br>
argh.... this is getting long, I'm sorry. I just want someone to tell me what to do, how to do it, and guarantee that it will be okay. That's not too much to ask, is it???<br><br>
~Scout

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Can you meet with the first grade teachers at the ps you would be sending him to? I agree that it would be more difficult emotionally for him to start in 1st at the ps and then repeat that grade than to just go in as a kindergartener next year.<br><br>
I'd try to get a feel from the 1st grade teachers what the expectations are and how they handle sensitive little boys. Also, does the ps have a full-day kindergarten program that you can pay for? Ours, for instance, has free half day K as well as full-day K that runs around $250/month.

·
Registered
151 Posts
my main question would be, how is he sensitive? do you really think it is something he will outgrow, or do you think your son will just always be a sensitive person? i think that may be the biggest factor in deciding which way you should go with it.<br>
for example-<br>
my dd is very sensitive, and people keep saying she will outgrow it or its because of our "crazy (aka AP) parenting style". i know that i am a VERY sensitive person, i never outgrew it and i never will, and my mom didn't use ap so i don't think its the style that had anything to do with it. my emotions and those of others just affect me so so much, i can't help it. i learned a bit in high school and recently how to "deal" with it more effectively, but that's it. because of my personality traits and the similarities between my dd and myself as a child, i would choose to send her to 1st grade if the sensitivity was the main concern, because i know it is very unlikely she will have outgrown it in a year, it's just a part of her. however if neither dh or myself was sensitive, and it was a recent development for dd or it was causing big behavioral issues, then i would probably wait and keep her another year. it all depends on your observations or your child's personality i think.<br>
good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
With that thought in mind, I would also recommend reading the book, The Highly Sensitive Person. I, too, am highly sensitive as is dd#1. It was rather enlightening and, as the pp says, not a trait that will be outgrown.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts