Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is baby #3 for me and I thought, hmmm, breastfeeding has lost the excitement, I've dabbled in cloth diapering...what else is there?

Hmmm how can I get even more out of my baby-experience this time around...I'm always trying to get more intouch/ in-tune with my baby (and kids)...

My DS (7wks) lets me know when he's hungry, he lets me know when he's tired, he lets me know when he's too hot or cold, and of course he lets me know when he has to poop or pee. Yup!
: It's just up to me to decide whether I take him to the bathroom and help him pee/poop over a proper receptical or whether I let him soil himself and sit in it.
:

I'm far from perfect when it comes to "Elimination Communication" (EC) or Natural infant Hygene as it's sometimes called but I'm trying to get the word out there - it's far easier than I thought and my DS really prefers it! There are quite a few websites out there and there's even a forum here on MDC it's in the Cloth diapering section...so check it out!

there's also:
www.diaperfreebaby.com or is it .org --- I can never remember
www.theecstore.com (they have a link section that's great_
www.whatisec.com

I'm just excited to have heard about this and have been so excited how it's been working for us!
I have my DS wear prefolds or fitted cloth diapers without covers around the house so I can change him immediately and we still choose to wear a disposable at night or when we go out but I've really cut down on the number of diapers we go through.

Try it, you might really, really like it...

Babies like to be clean (just like you and me) it's a basic instinct (that even newborn animals have) that they don't want to soil themselves. Think about it, how many times does your baby pee as soon as you take of a diaper (or if your really fast with your diaper change he pees within a few minutes of getting the fresh diaper on) --- How about this, when you change his diaper take him to the potty (or sink, or designated "pee" bowl/receptical) hold him over it, facing outward with his back to your tummy and your hands holding his thighs (there are pics on some of the websites) and make a "psss" sound or turn on the faucet...........then.............give him a minute or two....you'll probably see him trying/or thinking/or relaxing his muscles... and then! Peee!

Honestly I can't believe how easy it is! You don't HAVE to let your baby run around half-naked to incoperate EC in your life. Just talk him to the potty at diaper changes and when you'd naturally expect he'd like to goooooo
Like after waking up (but my guy likes to be totally awake or he doesn't want to be messed with) after eating, or after changing positions.

Think about how long the human species has been around, diapers (even cloth ones) are a new invention, and fabric is pretty new too. Moms haven't been walking around with messy soiled babies ( or with poop onthemselves) the get intune with their babies - just like breastfeeding moms are in tune...fussy baby,...either he wants the breast or the opposite -- he has to potty!

OK, just trying to get this "ancient, basic knowledge" back into circulation in our very modern, removed society.

I'm glad I heard about it so I thought other's might want to know too!

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I had considered doing it for ds's poops at least, but then all of a sudden changed his schedule and now does sneaky poops.

I want to try it with the next baby.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
We LOVE EC

We started at 5.5mos, looking back all the signs were there that it was right for us- DS would let us know the second he was wet (in hindsight, maybe he was telling us just BEFORE he wet??), and he'd almost always wait 'til the diaper was off to poop. I used to tell my Mom we went through like 4 diapers each diaper change 'cause he'd keep poopin' on the new one before it was on!

Anywhoo.....I like it!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can start at any age -- *but it does tend to be easier to start with a newborn before you've trained then to soil a diaper and ingnore their natural tendencies.

EC is flexible to you! You don't have to commit every hour to it - just try to help your baby pee/poop over a good place (instead of the diaper) - you get to be in control - you don't have to be perfect!

You have nothing to lose and it's free!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nmm2112
Think about it, how many times does your baby pee as soon as you take of a diaper (or if your really fast with your diaper change he pees within a few minutes of getting the fresh diaper on) --- How about this, when you change his diaper take him to the potty (or sink, or designated "pee" bowl/receptical) hold him over it, facing outward with his back to your tummy and your hands holding his thighs (there are pics on some of the websites) and make a "psss" sound or turn on the faucet...........then.............give him a minute or two....you'll probably see him trying/or thinking/or relaxing his muscles... and then! Peee!
just tried it this way after reading your post and we caught a poo in the toilet!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
YEAH!! For ALL that have tried it OR are doing it!!

My 2yo son has been TOTALLY trained since he was 16.5 months old! No diapers!!! No bed time diapers...and FEW accidents!

It is SOOOOO worth it!

Good luck to all who are practicing EC...keep up the good work!! And for those that haven't started, it is NEVER too late!!!

Diaperfreebaby.org is a GREAT resource!

·
Registered
4,933 Posts

welcome to the wonderful world of ec!!

when i first read about ec, i was intrigued but undecided whether i would be able to implement it. when dd was 6 weeks old, i thought about trying it a little bit to see how it would go. dd peed on the potty on our first attempt! i was hooked. dh didn't believe it at first but he also caught a pee on his first time putting dd on the potty.

we are 'part time' ec'ers but we found a rhythm that works for us. we feel great about honoring babys innate drive to not soil themselves, and it keeps a few diapers out of the wash/landfill.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy2Bobo
YEAH!! For ALL that have tried it OR are doing it!!

My 2yo son has been TOTALLY trained since he was 16.5 months old! No diapers!!! No bed time diapers...and FEW accidents!

It is SOOOOO worth it!
I am not trying to pick on you...but
It is interesting for me to see posts like these where mothers say that baby got totally trained at 16.5 months. Well, I am not sure whether you started EC at birth or later, but when my parents' generation had kids they did not have any diapers at all. Yet, they never heard of training the baby since birth. Most mothers would start training when the baby can comfortably seat on his own, i.e., around 7-8 months...and guess what...by the time babies where 12-18 months, the majority of them was fully trained.
I personally do not practice EC and never thought about doing it. But to my mom, who never knew what diapers are, the fact that my (at that time) almost 2 year old was still in diapers was a huge embarassment.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by M_of_M
Well, I am not sure whether you started EC at birth or later, but when my parents' generation had kids they did not have any diapers at all. Yet, they never heard of training the baby since birth. M
What did they do between birth and 7 months? No diapers and they also weren't holding the baby over a potty place? Sounds like a recipe for mess and ick.

The main purpose of EC is to communicate with your baby about elimination just as you communicate with them about eating and sleeping and playing and all the rest of their life. The secondary purpose is to not have to clean as many dirty diapers and to not have to wash poop out of baby crevices every time the baby poops. Some people do find that their child learns to use the potty earlier than the usual U.S. starting age of 2 (expected completion by age 3 or 4), but that's just a nice side effect for some families.

Oh, and you really should read through diaperfreebaby.org, because if you're talking about "training the baby" you don't have the right idea about EC. It really is more "training the parents". Just as you're trained to change the babies diaper when he/she pees or poops, EC is about training yourself to take the baby to a potty *before* she/he pees or poops.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I was in cloth diapers (the old folded kind) and my mum said the second i was wet i had to be changed or all h**l broke loose. she said that by my own doing, not hers, i was fully potty trained and in underwear a few months after i could walk (i walked around a year old).

·
Registered
661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
What did they do between birth and 7 months? No diapers and they also weren't holding the baby over a potty place? Sounds like a recipe for mess and ick.or poops.
As per my mom, sometimes they did hold babies over a potty place before 7 months of age but it was rare and not based on baby's "telling" parents what they want. Before 7 months of age they used home made cloth diapers or something similar to that.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there is no need to EC the baby since birth in order to achieve the same "fully potty trained" effect at 16.5 months. If you do it EC for other reasons (and it looks like it) then that's fine.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

As per my mom, sometimes they did hold babies over a potty place before 7 months of age but it was rare and not based on baby's "telling" parents what they want. Before 7 months of age they used home made cloth diapers or something similar to that.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there is no need to EC the baby since birth in order to achieve the same "fully potty trained" effect at 16.5 months. If you do it EC for other reasons (and it looks like it) then that's fine.
Oh, okay, I read "my parents generation did not have any diapers at all" and thought you meant "no diapers" when you meant like no commercial/disposable diapers, they did have cloth diapers. Thank you, that is a lot less confusing.

It is interesting that the babies were able to be "fully potty trained" very young even with starting at the relatively "late" age of 7 months. I'm sorry I got distracted by the diaper confusion.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
It is interesting that the babies were able to be "fully potty trained" very young even with starting at the relatively "late" age of 7 months.
Kinda, but not TOoo weird. I'd consider us 'late starters' and my guy's diaper-free at 8 mos. It wouldn't surprise me if he's fully 'trained' to go on his own by 18 mos. I had a girl in daycare who totally toilet trained herself a few mos before her 2nd bday, and she was in sposies and it wasn't initiated by her mom. Each kid's different right?

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Quote:

As long as you start by around 6-8 months and no later then you can still achieve early potty training. After around 8 months is when the baby is already diaper trained and it's much more difficult after that. In my and my friends' experiences it's much easier to start at birth and never diaper train the baby. Those who started later will catch up eventually, but dd was reliably telling me when she needed to potty at 4 months and if I hadn't started at birth then it would have been later
Now that she's mobile we have one or two misses a day which is about what my friends who started at 4-6 months currently have and their babies are 9-12 months now (dd is 8 months now). Not that much difference, but still easier to start right away

love and peace.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts