Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does my 16 month old son always have to insist on constant nursing whenever I'm sick? I have what is probably the flu and a 102 degree temp. I'm probably dehydrated so it wouldn't surprise me if my supply is down. But still, he's using me as a human pacifier. The last few nights I have been stuck laying on my left side all night going numb because he won't let go even in his sleep.

Every time he gets this extremely annoying high pitched scream and will not stop. He also insists on digging his fingernails into the other one and pinching which hurts. Finally today when he was screaming because he wanted to nurse I said no and hugged and kissed him for ten minutes while he had a complete temper tantrum. I felt so completely awful like I was scarring him for life, but then he was suddenly happy and snuggled and talked to me for a long time.

Is that okay to do? What limits should I be setting on this?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I think it may also be that he's so attached to you (which is great, of course) - if you aren't doing well, he isn't doing well - so he wants to nurse. I don't think there are hard and fast rules here, just mama-sense trying to balance between both of your needs. You know, set the limits you really need, while understanding his perspective, too!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
That high pitch scream is a good sign for us that my daughter is teething- could that be going on right now? If so, it's classic bad timing.... I'm sorry- I've had those times, and I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think he senses that you are sick and that scares him and he needs assurance from you that all is well by nursing even more.

Hope you feel better soon! (and that your baby does not get the flu)

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Sometimes when this happens I wonder if they have an instinct to get the antibodies for the illness from us, when we are sick before them. I know that doesn't help how uncomfortable it is for you..just a theory.

: Get well soon!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I think I'm finally over the worst part of the illness. My fever is gone and I'm just left with sinus symptoms now. My son never got sick which I think is amazing and definitely shows how our antibodies help our babies.

I suppose teething is possible. When do they get molars?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.