Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ds and I caught what we thought we're just light colds on Fri and now it's turned into full sore throats, coughing, runny nose, the whole sick nastiness.

I've gone this whole pregnancy w/o antibiotics but am wondering if I should get checked for strep throat?

Any advice of what to take, or should I just bite the bullet and go to the drs?

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
When I got a cold a while back I drank a lovely vinegar drink
BUT, it *works*.

3 C hot water
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
2-3 Tbs raw honey
juice of 1 lemon
Drink this throughout the day, it does wonders for a sore throat.

Also drink a couple cups of elderberry and rosehip tea sweetened with raw honey. Elderberry is awsome for fighting viruses and the rosehips are jam packed with natural vit C.

Make sure you take your cod liver oil, avoid all dairy and all sugar. A good old fashioned bowl of homemade chicken soup with REAL stock also does wonders.

Oh, use a neti pot to clear out your sinuses. Doing this even while you are healthy helps to keep them clear of germs and nastiness that can make you sick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry! We had a cold a few weeks ago, and it's just no fun to be sick and pregnant. I went and had an acupuncture session and that was really helpful in clearing out all the congestion (along with the neti pot).

·
Registered
714 Posts
I got a cold a couple of weeks ago and did my best to tough it out with rest/vitamins/good food. After 10 days I felt it settling into my chest more and had developed a horrible hacking cough, so I threw in the towel and went to the doctor. He quickly diagnosed it as bronchitis but said he had no way of knowing whether it was bacterial or viral without further testing, so his recommended course of action was for me to take Tylenol-3 to stop the coughing and, if I didn't get better within a couple of days, assume it was bacterial and take a z-pack of antibiotics. (He prescribed Tylenol-3 because it's a class B in pregnancy, while the codeine cough syrup is a class C.)

I DON'T see the doctor much and I almost NEVER take drugs, but I had totally reached the end of my rope. He prescribed me 30 Tylenol-3s and the z-pack... I took 2 of the T3s (one at a time over a 12 hour period) and that was all I needed. It was enough to give my throat a rest, stop the spasms and coughing, and allow me to start healing. I am still not at 100% but I really did need to do something to give my body a break.

I really appreciated the way the doc handled it, because a) he gave me control over how I handled the antibiotics, b) he "got it" when it came to not wanting unnecessary drugs/antibiotics, especially in pregnancy, and c) he also recommended honey as the best cough syrup out there.

Anyway, that's my story - I am glad I went in because I feel like I am taking much better care of the baby by getting my body healthy than I was when I couldn't breathe/sleep for all the coughing. I hope you're feeling better now, too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.