Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nasty respiratory virus! Please help! What can I take???!?!! I know OTC drugs are out but are there any herbal things I can take to help with the sore throat, chest congestion, etc.

THanks,
CIndy
:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadianmommax3
bump

hope you are feeling better soon

THanks! Me too
I am just pitiful! Luckily, DH has this weekend off and can help me out.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I'm sorry!! I've got the same kind of thing starting now... my son has had a cold the past few days and now I've got a sore throat and I'm stuffy too.

Warm tea always helps my throat feel better, but if you want drugs, tylenol is fine and sudafed is fine (although if you're nursing it can cause milk supply issues... something we don't need in pregnancy.) Ocean drops nasal saline spray is totally fine too, nothing in it but salt water so you can use it as much as you want. Steam can help too.

Hope you are feeling better! How about chicken soup? They have actually studied it and have found stuff in it that will help colds!

·
Registered
754 Posts
It's been studied by the mainstream that echinacea is completely safe for you and baby too when they're born.
That wil boost your immune sysytem. Remember, it's only effective for two weeks and then you need to take a break, so be thorough and diligent about your doses those weeks.

Here's a link. If you scroll down, there are safe herbs listed for cold syptoms.
HTH.
safe herbs 4 pregnancy

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
i have to take benadryl for allergies and it works wonders.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THanks everyone for the well wishes and suggestions. I will definitely give Benadryl a try before bed tonight. I have been drinking hot tea and using Ricola drops with Echinacea so I am glad to hear it was safe.

I went to the Dr. to rule out strep. He gave me a tablet that has a decongestant in it but I don't think I will take it.

Thanks again,
Cindy
:

·
Registered
196 Posts
It won't help with the congestion, but warm ginger tea (if you don't have pure ginger tea, regular tea steeped with grated fresh ginger works too) with tons of lemon and honey in it is the best thing for a sore throat. It smooths everything out and makes your throat feel so good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts