Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have doing EC with my son since he was 6 weeks or so. I started considering him a "grad" about 2 months ago, when he was 17 months old. He's been out of backup diapers since then with only the occasional puddle. The occasions when he wet the bed were a case of sleepy mama being too slow to get him on the pot when he asked. (he will sit up in bed and ask to go potty, it's so cute)

Just this week he has started peeing in his sleep, something he has never done before. He will also pee while nursing, another first. He seems to be having more oopses during the day as well, not noticing he needs to go until he's going, but day time is still mostly dry. I don't understand what's happening? I don't think he's sick, but I can't imagine why else he start peeing (on me :( )and sleeping through it.

Anyone BTDT? I welcome all suggestions. At this point I'm considering putting him back in diapers at night, even though he hates them. I just don't want to keep getting peed on.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
It could be he's fighting an illness, or maybe just working on a developmental stage that you can't see. I know many of us have suddenly wondered why we're being peed on and within a few days, babe makes some huge developmental leap (talking, walking, etc) It could also be teething, which completely messed up pottying for my younger babe. The enzymes in the saliva which help soften the gums to let the teeth break through can irritate the digestive tract all the way down and cause bowel & bladder sensitivity. You might find there's a new tooth coming in.

I always recommend using whatever back-up pants will help to ease your stress.

If he hates diapers, maybe figure out what about them he doesn't like. Maybe try a pull-on style if he doesn't like lying down to put on a dipe (or snaps instead of velcro, fitted instead of flat, etc), or maybe what you've got doesn't fit him comfortably and you can find a different fitting pant or just use extra waterproofing on the bed if he simply hates being clothed at all to sleep.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah he is teething. Cutting a couple molars and at least one other tooth. He's also having a kind of explosion of verbal ability in the last month or so, and it's not slowing down. And he's growing like a weed. He hasn't been sleeping well either for about a week. So maybe he's just so worn out he's not waking as easily as usual? I don't know. I didn't think any of this developmental stuff was causing it because it didn't coincide with the change in behavior, but now I see that it could be more of a cumulative effect. All that stuff going on in his little body wearing him out.

He doesn't like the dipes because they're uncomfortable (I wouldn't either) and he can take them off so it's hard to force the issue. Maybe I'll try stuffing a prefold in his undies for night time, like a doubler. Then it might keep him from making such a mess but still let him feel wet? I don't know I'm just brainstorming.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I didn't really get the deal with teething since my first was the easiest teether ever (every couple of months we'd have maybe a day of noticing he wasn't "normal" and then there'd be 2 new teeth and he got ALL of them by 18 mo), then my second has had the hardest time with his teeth (still has only lost 8 by 10 yrs old =P) and it messed up EC so badly for us. Adding in the developmental stuff (that we so often don't notice until AFTER they're past it ;-) ) and they just have no space in their lives for making sure the pee gets into the potty.

I've never seen a big issue with helping an ECed babe feel wet, since they so rarely rely on dipes, so do what works. Adding doublers can work in the short term if you don't want to purchase anything special that you might have limited need for. If you do want to get something, look for more comfortable diapers or you can find some training undies that you could use other times.

And just remember that it's normal and you aren't "messing up" EC by taking care of your need to have a dry bed :thumb

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. :) I'm not worried about messing up at EC or anything. Just trying to find a root cause I could hopefully fix. The developmental stuff that's all going on now does make sense as an explanation - there just isn't much I can do about it. :/

We're pretty broke so I'm not going to buy any new diapers for a stage he'll likely grow out of soon. (I hope!) I've also been a bit lazy about taking him to the potty since he had gotten pretty good about telling me when he needed to go. Maybe focusing in more on proactively pottying will eliminate some of the puddles. No pun intended.

·
Registered
771 Posts
@LTurtle, when I read this I was going to suggest all the same things as @rubelin did - I think she's bang on about developmental stages (and maybe teething). I know it is frustrating, too, but there is just so much going on for him during those changes and EC requires him to notice his cues and communicate them to you, which means paying a lot of attention. Kids lose attention to much less challenging things (like playing a really interesting game) and you suddenly get the wet result.

What I would suggest at night, at least (I did this for many months just as a back up regardless of wetting), is just lining his bed (or yours if you bed share) with a simple plastic liner that will protect the mattress, then several layers of absorbent material underneath him (I like wool for this - I bought a bunch of really cheap used 100% wool sweaters and cut them all up and used them in car seats, on beds, on the floor, etc. He won't feel the wetness as much or right away, no smell, and you can hang them out to dry in the morning. In the meantime, I wouldn't worry at all about the fact that he is wetting.

I agree that it is not an EC problem. However, EC is all about communication and so now is a great time for you to gently communicate with him about what is happening (especially during nursing) and make a little plan about how the two of you might try to avoid as many wet times. For example, if nursing is when it happens most during the day, talk to him about going potty first before any nursing session, using whatever encouragement cues you use, and then he gets to nurse. He is well at the age where can wait for his nursing session for a minute or two, and it is a good teaching tool, also. :) This is the proactive ECing you talked about, so maybe you're already doing this!

Oh and if you are putting something in his undies, do you have prefolds made of bamboo or similar that can be nice and thin but still do a great job? If he doesn't like the feel of bulkiness, that might work. You'd have to research that.... it's been so long for me now that I don't recall all the details on the materials and we didn't really need them as we used non-disposable slip on underwear. Not sure what you use, but if you want another option, we liked these for the early "independent" days before full time undies - they are like undies, but hardier and catch the first bits of wetness at which time the child notices and then can go pee and change undies. They are way more comfortable than dips or disposable pull ups).

Good luck! You have done great, already, mama! ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
The bed mats they sell for incontinent adults are the best. Big enough to still be under a squirmy baby, actually waterproof, washable. If you don't like the texture, then you can put a blanket or something under. The 2 foot by 3 foot size is good because that's small enough to trade out for another one without undoing the whole bed.

Wool soaker pads failed dismally for us, even with just newborn pees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts